Score: Oral Roberts 66 – Missouri State 76
Records: Oral Roberts (6-4) (0-0); MSU (3-6) (0-0)
Location: JQH Arena – Springfield, Mo.
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team shot 55 percent from the field in 76-66 loss Sunday afternoon against Missouri State at JQH Arena in Springfield, Missouri.
The Golden Eagles opened the game with a 6-0 run and later extended their run to 11-4 with a Sarah Garvie three-point jumper and a Maya Mayberry layup. ORU started the game 6-for-6 from the field and 2-for-2 from beyond the arc. Missouri State went on a 15-2 run to and took its first lead of the game with two minutes remaining in the first. The Lady Bears closed out the first 10 minutes of play leading 21-17. The Golden Eagles shot 58 percent from the field in the first and held Missouri State to 42 percent. Maria Martianez and Maya Mayberry each had four points in the first quarter.
The Bears got up by as much as six points in the second quarter. Missouri State out-scored ORU in the second, 17-16. Missouri State took a 38-33 lead going in to halftime. Maria Martianez had six points in the first half to lead the Golden Eagles. ORU shot 52 percent in the first 20 minutes and 36 percent from three-point range.
Sarah Garvie opened the third quarter with a three-point bucket to bring the Golden Eagle deficit down to two. Maya Mayberry then tied the game at 38-38 with a 12-foot jumper. Missouri State took back its lead and ended the quarter up 58-53. The Golden Eagles continued to shoot more than 50 percent in the third, while the Bears shot 43 percent overall.
Missouri State got up by as much as 14 in the fourth quarter and ORU could not come back. The Bears went on a 7-0 run to extend its lead during the stretch. Maya Mayberry led the way for the Golden Eagles with 15 points on the day. ORU finished 55 percent from the field and 41 percent from the three-point line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 55.1 percent overall in today's game.
- Missouri State out-rebounded ORU 34-25.
- The Golden Eagles had a 41.2 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 15 times, but forced the Bears to turn the ball over 10 times.
- ORU shot 55.6 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored seven points and grabbed five rebounds along with three assists and one block.
- Maria Martianez had 10 points and four rebounds. She also had one assist, two steals and one block.
- Rachel Skalnik scored three points in the game and grabbed three rebounds with two assists.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points and grabbed one rebound in the game.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded nine points, three rebounds along with two assists and two steals in the game.
- Maya Mayberry scored 15 points with one rebound and two assists along with one steal.
- ORU had 26 points in the paint and 16 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 12 points off turnovers.
ORU will compete in the 2017 Shocker Winter Classic hosted by Wichita State, December 15-16, inside Charles Koch Arena in Wichita, Kansas. The Golden Eagles will face Alcorn State Friday, December 15 at 4 p.m. and Chicago State Saturday, December 16 at 8:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.