Score: Oral Roberts 76 – Alcorn State 52
Records: Oral Roberts (7-4) (0-0); ASU (4-4) (0-0)
Location: Charles Koch Arena – Wichita, Kansas
WICHITA, Kan. – Maria Martianez led the Oral Roberts women's basketball team with 20 points in Friday evenings 76-52 win over Alcorn State in the Shocker Winter Classic in Wichita, Kansas, inside Charles Koch Arena.
ORU jumped out early with a 12-3 run that was highlighted by a pair of three-point buckets by Sarah Garvie. Maria Martianez led the way for the Golden Eagles with eight first quarter points and four rebounds. ORU closed out the first 10 minutes with a 22-11 lead over Alcorn State. The Golden Eagles shot 63 percent in the first quarter and held the Braves to a 29 percent shooting average.
Alcorn State opened the second quarter with a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to four. After cutting it to a two point game, ORU went in to the locker room up 40-32 over the Braves. The Golden Eagles shot 57 percent in the first half, but had 14 first half turnovers. Alcorn State had 17 points off turnovers that kept the Braves within striking distance. Maria Martianez led the Golden Eagles with 16 points in the first 20 minutes. ORU had a 50 percent three point percentage in the first half.
ORU went on two 6-0 runs in the third quarter and continued to shoot above 50 percent overall from the field .The Golden Eagles closed out the third up 58-41 on Alcorn State. Keni Jo Lippe scored six of her 10 total points in the final two minutes of the quarter and hit a big 3-pointer to give the Golden Eagles a 16 point lead with 36 seconds to go in the third.
The Golden Eagles shot 66.7 percent from the field in the fourth quarter and extended its lead to 24 points to close out the game. ORU shot 56.1 percent overall in today's game. Four Golden Eagles scored in double figures in the game.
Oral Roberts: Maria Martianez scored 20 points and Regan Schumacher had 10 rebounds.
Alcorn State: Alexus Freeman and Tia Sanders each scored 14 points for the Braves, while Miracle Rushing had five boards.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 56.1 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Alcorn State 51-23.
- The Golden Eagles had a 35.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 26 times, but forced the Braves to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 54.5 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 15 points and grabbed six rebounds along with one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 20 points and six rebounds. She also had two assists and three blocks.
- Maya Mayberry scored seven points with four rebounds and six assists.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied three points and seven rebounds. Gilbert also had three assists and one steal.
- Sarah Garvie scored 11 points and grabbed one rebound in tonight's contest.
- Rachel Skalnik gathered one rebound in the game and had three assists along with two steals.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points and grabbed five rebounds in the game with one block.
- ORU had 46 points in the paint and 20 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 12 points off turnovers.
ORU will play game two of the 2017 Shocker Winter Classic, hosted by Wichita State University, against Chicago State on Saturday, December 16, inside Charles Koch Arena in Wichita, Kansas. The game will tipoff at 8:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.