Score: Oral Roberts 82 – Omaha 53
Records: Oral Roberts (9-5) (1-0); Omaha (8-5) (0-1)
Location: Baxter Arena – Omaha, Nebraska
OMAHA, Neb. – Maya Mayberry set a new career high with 21 points and led the Oral Roberts women's basketball team past the Omaha Mavericks, 82-53 in the Summit League opener Saturday afternoon at Baxter Arena in Omaha, Nebraska.
Sarah Garvie and Maya Mayberry opened the game with a pair of back-to-back three-point buckets for the Golden Eagles. ORU then went on to have an explosive first quarter. The Golden Eagles sparked a 14-0 run and then extended the run to 21-2. ORU then went on another 9-2 run to end the quarter. ORU shot 67 percent in the first quarter. The Golden Eagle defense held the Mavericks to six points and 3-for-10 shooting overall. At the end of the first 10 minutes, ORU led Omaha 29-6. Maya Mayberry led the way with 13 first quarter points.
ORU continued its run in to the second, but Omaha was able to out-score the Golden Eagles 13-12 in the quarter. ORU went on a scoring drought for the last four minutes, but managed to take the game in to halftime with a 22 point lead. The Golden Eagles shot 59 percent in the first half and led at the break 41-19. Maya Mayberry continued to lead the team with 13 points. ORU had four first half turnovers and forced Omaha to make 10.
Maya Mayberry tied her career high in the third quarter with her 17th point of the game. The Golden Eagles took its largest lead of the game when they extended their lead to 32 in the quarter. ORU closed out the quarter with a 64-34 lead. The Golden Eagles out-scored the Mavericks 23-15 in the third. ORU kept its shooting percentage above 50 percent going 57 percent overall from the field.
Maya Mayberry set a new career high at 21 points in the fourth and was the team's leading scorer in today's game. Omaha out-scored the Golden Eagles 19-18 in the fourth. ORU led by as much as 34 points in the fourth, but closed out the game with a 29 point victory. Overall, ORU shot 59.6 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from beyond the arc.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 59.6 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Omaha 31-18.
- The Golden Eagles had a 33.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Mavericks to turn the ball over 17 times.
- ORU shot 81.8 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 17 points and grabbed seven rebounds along with one assist and two steals.
- Maria Martianez had 10 points and three rebounds. She also had one assist and two steals.
- Maya Mayberry set a new career high with 21 points. She also had one rebound and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied 14 points and four rebounds. Gilbert also had five assists.
- Sarah Garvie scored five points along with two assists and three steals.
- Rachel Skalnik recorded two rebounds and three assists in today's game.
- Montserrat Brotons scored eight points and grabbed six rebounds in the game along with one block.
- Katie Kirkhart played in seven minutes in today's game.
- ORU had 46 points in the paint and 15 bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 23 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will continue their road stint with a matchup against Fort Wayne Thursday, January 4 at 5 p.m. inside the Gates Sports Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.