Score: Oral Roberts 49 – Western Illinois 56
Records: Oral Roberts (10-6) (2-1); Western Illinois (12-5) (2-1)
Location: Western Hall – Macomb, Illinois
MACOMB, Ill. – Three Golden Eagles score in double-figures and Maria Martianez records a double-double in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's loss to the Western Illinois Leathernecks, 56-49, Saturday evening at Western Hall in Macomb, Illinois.
Western Illinois jumped out and scored a three-point bucket to open the game and took an early lead. The Golden Eagles defense only allowed one more shot to fall before the first quarter media timeout. Western Illinois led 14-11 to close out the first quarter and shot 35.7 percent in the first. ORU shot 33.3 percent.
ORU trailed by as much as 10 in the second quarter. The Golden Eagles cut the deficit to six before going in to halftime. The Leathernecks led at the half 26-20 going 34.5 percent from the field. Sarah Garvie and Maria Martianez led the Golden Eagles with six points each in the first half as ORU shot 30 percent. The Golden Eagles did commit 10 turnovers in the first 20 minutes of play and did not shoot a free-throw.
The Golden Eagles cut the deficit to two points in the third and took the lead with three minutes remaining in the quarter. Keni Jo Lippe hit a three-point bucket that gave the Golden Eagles their first lead in the second half. Western Illinois came back and took a 46-40 lead to end the third quarter. Both teams scored 20 points in the third.
The Leathernecks got up by as much as 14 points in the fourth. ORU trailed 54-47 with 1:30 remaining in the final period. After a Golden Eagle bucket and a pair of Leatherneck free-throws, Western Illinois finished the game with a 56-49 win. ORU shot 34.5 percent overall in the game and 37.5 percent from the three-point line. The Leathernecks out-scored the Golden Eagles 10-9 in the fourth. ORU had three players each score 12 points in the game.
Oral Roberts: Sarah Garvie, Maria Martianez and Maya Mayberry each scored 12 points in the game. Martianez finished with 12 rebounds for her third double-double of the season.
Western Illinois: Taylor Higginbotham scored 19 points and grabbed 14 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 34.5 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by Western Illinois 39-38.
- The Golden Eagles had a 37.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 19 times, but forced the Leathernecks to turn the ball over 14 times.
- ORU shot 42.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored four points and grabbed seven rebounds along with three assists and two steals.
- Maria Martianez had 12 points and 12 rebounds. She also had three assists.
- Maya Mayberry recorded 12 points. She also had four rebounds and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied four points and five rebounds. Gilbert also had two assists, one block and one steal.
- Sarah Garvie scored 12 points along with three rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Rachel Skalnik recorded three rebounds in tonight's game along with one assist.
- Montserrat Brotons played in 10 minutes of tonight's game.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded five points and two rebounds along with three assists.
- ORU had 18 points in the paint and five bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 11 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles return to the Mabee Center for the first time since November 25 to take on the North Dakota State Bison Thursday, January 11 at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.