Score: Oral Roberts 71 – North Dakota State 48
Records: Oral Roberts (11-6) (3-1); North Dakota State (7-10) (0-3)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Oklahoma
TULSA, Okla. – Maria Martianez grabbed her second consecutive double-double as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team ran past the North Dakota State Bison, 71-48, Thursday evening inside the Mabee Center.
Maria Martianez opened the game for the Golden Eagles scoring the first basket for either squad. After back and forth play, ORU then went on a 12-1 run that gave the Golden Eagles and 11 point lead halfway through the quarter. ORU ended the first 10 minutes up 19-10 and shot 44 percent overall. The Golden Eagle defense held North Dakota State to 25 percent shooting overall. ORU also had four blocks in the first 10 minutes.
The Golden Eagles started the second quarter with an 18-0 run. ORU held North Dakota State scoreless for the first 7:35 of the quarter. The Bison scored five points in the second compared to ORU's 22. The Golden Eagles led at halftime 41-15. It's currently the largest halftime lead for the Golden Eagles this season over a league opponent. ORU shot 50 percent in the first half and held North Dakota State to 18 percent. Faith Ihim led the Golden Eagles with 10 first half points.
North Dakota State stormed out of halftime and went on a 9-0 run to cut the deficit to 15 points before Jordan Gilbert broke the Bison's run. Maria Martianez closed out the third with her first 3-point bucket of the season to give the Golden Eagles a 58-35 lead. The Bison out-scored ORU, 20-17, in the third.
Both teams scored 13 points in the fourth. The Golden Eagles took their largest lead of the game in the final period at 27 points. ORU closed out the game shooting 45.5 percent from the field and 23.1 percent from the three point line. Maria Martianez recorded her fourth double-double of the season in the fourth with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Montserrat Brotons grabbed a career high nine rebounds in tonight's game.
Oral Roberts: Maria Martianez scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for her fourth double-double of the season and eighth in her career.
North Dakota State: Michelle Gaislerova scored 12 points and Reilly Jacobson grabbed 11 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 45.5 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded North Dakota State 48-35.
- The Golden Eagles had a 23.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Bison to turn the ball over 12 times.
- ORU shot 47.1 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 15 points and grabbed six rebounds along with two assists, one block and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 16 points and 11 rebounds. She also had one assist, three blocks and one steal.
- Maya Mayberry recorded 11 points. She also had one rebound, two assists and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied 13 points and eight rebounds. Gilbert also had two assists in the game.
- Sarah Garvie scored six points along with three rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Rachel Skalnik recorded one assist, one block and one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons scored four points and grabbed a career high nine rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded two points and four rebounds along with one steal.
- Regan Schumacher scored four points with two rebounds and one steal.
- Katie Kirkhart competed in seven minutes of tonight's game.
- ORU had 42 points in the paint and 10 bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored eight points off turnovers.
ORU will matchup against Summit League preseason favorite, South Dakota State, Saturday, January 13 at 2 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.