Score: Oral Roberts 68 – South Dakota 73
Records: Oral Roberts (11-8) (3-3); South Dakota (14-5) (5-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Oklahoma
TULSA, Okla. – Keni Jo Lippe scored a career high 21 points as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to the South Dakota Coyotes, 73-68, Wednesday evening at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead over the Coyotes to start the first quarter. ORU held its lead throughout the quarter and led 16-11 at the end of the first 10 minutes of play. Maria Martianez led the Golden Eagles with eight points as the team shot 50 percent overall.
South Dakota erased its deficit and tied the game at 16-16 to begin the second quarter. The Golden Eagles retook the lead and had a 34-29 advantage going in to halftime. ORU shot 50 percent in the first half and held South Dakota to 36 percent from the field. Maria Martianez led the Golden Eagles with 12 first half points. Ten of ORU's first half points came from charity stripe.
The Golden Eagles took their largest lead of the game in the third quarter with an 11 point advantage. South Dakota ended the quarter on an 8-0 run and trailed ORU, 52-49, at the end of the third. The Golden Eagles continued to shoot 50 percent from the field. Maria Martianez still led the team in points with 16.
South Dakota tied the game at 52-52 with nine minutes to go in the final period. The Coyotes eventually took a five point lead with 5:10 remaining in the game. Keni Jo Lippe hit a three-point bucket to tie the game at 64-64 with less than four minutes to go. The Coyotes did not go away and down the stretch took a four point lead that the Golden Eagles could not overcome. South Dakota finished on the high side and won 73-68.
Oral Roberts: Keni Jo Lippe scored a career high 21 points while Faith Ihim and Maria Martianez each grabbed six rebounds.
South Dakota: Allison Arens scored 18 points and grabbed four rebounds. Madison McKeever also had four rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 51 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded South Dakota 29-22.
- The Golden Eagles had a 46.2 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 18 times, but forced the Coyotes to turn the ball over 16 times.
- ORU shot 75 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds along with four assists.
- Maria Martianez had 18 points and six rebounds. She also had four assists, one block and two steals.
- Maya Mayberry recorded four points. She also had four rebounds and two assists.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied nine points and three rebounds. Gilbert also had two assists, one block and two steals.
- Sarah Garvie scored three points along with one rebound and two assists.
- Rachel Skalnik recorded one rebound and one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons scored three points and grabbed four rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe led the team with a career high 21 points along two rebounds and two assists.
- ORU had 22 points in the paint and six bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 21 points off turnovers.
ORU will host the Denver Pioneers for its fourth consecutive Summit League home game. The Golden Eagles and the Pioneers will matchup on Saturday, January 20 at 2 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.