Score: Oral Roberts 66 – Fort Wayne 47
Records: Oral Roberts (14-8) (5-3); Fort Wayne (4-18) (1-8)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Oklahoma
TULSA, Okla. – Four Golden Eagles scored in double-digits as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team grabbed its second win of the season over the Fort Wayne Mastodons, 66-45, Thursday evening at the Mabee Center.
Fort Wayne scored the opening basket, but the Golden Eagles followed with a 12-0 run to open Thursday's game. ORU out-scored the Mastodons 14-7 in the first quarter and the teams tied 17-17 in the second as the Golden Eagles went in to the locker room with a 31-24 lead. ORU continued to out-score the Mastodons, 35-21, in the second half. Four Golden Eagles scored in double figures in Thursday's matchup.
Maria Martianez led the Golden Eagles with 17 points going 5-for-12 from the field and 7-for-7 from the free-throw line. Keni Jo Lippe went 3-for-3 from the 3-point line and added one free-throw for 10 points. Faith Ihim only played 26 minutes in tonight's game due to foul trouble in the first half, but recorded 13 points. Ihim was one rebound shy of a double-double. Maya Mayberry added 13 points of her own and shot 50 percent overall from the field. As a whole, ORU shot 46 percent from the field and 54 percent from beyond the arc. The Golden Eagles committed seven first half turnovers, but limited the turnovers to three in the second half.
The Golden Eagles defense allowed one double-digit scorer for Fort Wayne. Peyton Fallis scored 13 points going 5-for-11 overall. Jaelencia Williams and De'Jour Young each grabbed five rebounds. The Mastodons only capitalized with five points off of turnovers.
ORU allowed Fort Wayne seven first quarter points and went on a 12-0 run. During the run, the Golden Eagles hit three 3-point buckets. ORU shot 3-for-4 from beyond the arc in the first quarter and held the Mastodons to 1-for-7 from long range.
Oral Roberts: Maria Martianez scored 17 points, while Faith Ihim led the team with nine rebounds.
Fort Wayne: Peyton Fallis scored 13 points for the Mastodons. Jaelencia Williams and De'Jour Young each grabbed five rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 46.2 percent overall in Thursday's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Fort Wayne, 34-28.
- The Golden Eagles had a 54.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Mastodons to turn the ball over 13 times.
- ORU shot 75 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 13 points, grabbed six rebounds and one made assist.
- Maria Martianez had 17 points and six rebounds. She also had three assists, one block and three steals.
- Maya Mayberry recorded 13 points along with two rebounds.
- Rachel Skalnik scored six points and grabbed two rebounds. She added three assists and one steal.
- Keni Jo Lippe recored 10 points with seven rebounds, three assists, one block and one steal.
- ORU had 26 points in the paint and eight bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 18 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will host the Western Illinois Leathernecks Saturday, February 3 at 2 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. Both team's enter the contest with a 5-3 Summit League record.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.