Score: Oral Roberts 63 – Western Illinois 85
Records: Oral Roberts (14-9) (5-4); Western Illinois (17-7) (7-3)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Oklahoma
TULSA, Okla. – Faith Ihim grabbed a career high 23 rebounds as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to Western Illinois, 85-63, Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
ORU got off to a slow start going 0-for-12 overall from the field in the first five minutes of play before Maya Mayberry scored the first bucket for the Golden Eagles. Sarah Garvie had nine of the Golden Eagles 14 total points in the first quarter going 3-for-4 from beyond the arc.
The Golden Eagles led by as much as three in the first half, but the Leathernecks went in to the half with a 30-26 lead and led by trailed eight. Faith Ihim grabbed 11 first half rebounds. Ihim tied her career high of 20 rebounds in the third. She ended the day with 23 rebounds, setting a new career high. She also grabbed her fourth double-double of the season and 16th for her career.
ORU finished the day with four players scoring in double-figures. Overall, the Golden Eagles shot 34 percent (24-70) from the field and 26 percent (6-23) from the three-point line. Western Illinois out-scored ORU in all four quarters shooting 43 percent (27-62) overall. Emily Clemens had a career day for the Leathernecks netting 31 points, seven rebounds and 10 assists. Clemens 10 assists made her the all-time Summit League record holder for career assists.
The Golden Eagles allowed the Leathernecks to go on a 12-0 run in the fourth quarter. After leading by nine to begin the final period, Western Illinois took advantage of the run to extend its lead to 24. The Leathernecks led by as much as 27 points in the fourth.
Oral Roberts: Sarah Garvie scored 14 points, while Faith Ihim led the team with 23 rebounds.
Western Illinois: Emily Clemens scored 31 points for the Leathernecks. Taylor Higginbotham recorded nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 34.3 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Western Illinois, 48-36.
- The Golden Eagles had a 26.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 19 times, but forced the Leathernecks to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 60 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 13 points, grabbed 23 rebounds and made five assists with two steals.
- Maria Martianez had 10 points and seven rebounds. She also had three assists and three blocks.
- Maya Mayberry recorded eight points along with four rebounds, two assists and three steals.
- Sarah Garvie netted 14 points with one rebound and two steals.
- Keni Jo Lippe recored 10 points with four rebounds and two assists.
- ORU had 28 points in the paint and eight bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 11 points off turnovers.
ORU will be on the road for the next four games beginning with a trip to Fargo, North Dakota to take on the North Dakota State Bison Thursday, February 8 at 7 p.m. inside the Scheels Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.