Score: Oral Roberts 76 – Denver 71
Records: No. 5 Oral Roberts (17-12) (7-7); No. 4 Denver (16-14) (7-7)
Location: Denny Sanford Premier Center – Sioux Falls, South Dakota
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Faith Ihim, All-Summit League First Team member, led the Oral Roberts women's basketball team with 18 points in the Golden Eagles 76-71 quarterfinal round win over the Denver Pioneers Sunday afternoon in the Summit League Championship at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
The Golden Eagles came out and scored the opening bucket in Sunday's game and eventually went on a 7-0 run in the first quarter. Denver fought back and hit a buzzer beater to tie the game 14-14 at the end of the first 10 minutes. ORU's offense scored 19 points in the second period and closed out the first half on a 9-0 run, going in to the locker room with a 33-24 advantage. After tying the third period, with both team's scoring 20 points each, Denver went 4-for-5 from the three-point line in a four minute span to pull the game to within three points in the closing quarter.
ORU shot 50.9 percent overall in the game and 60 percent from the three-point line. Sarah Garvie went 5-for-6 from beyond the arc and scored 17 points after adding a pair of free-throws. Garvie also had a career high six rebounds. Faith Ihim went 9-for-15 overall from the field with 18 points and seven rebounds. Summit League All-Newcomer Team member, Maya Mayberry, recorded 11 points shooting 5-for-9 overall.
Denver connected from beyond the arc in today's game 14 times off of 29 attempts for 48.3 percent. Lauren Loven led the Pioneers going 5-for-9 from long range. The Golden Eagles' defense held the Pioneers to 37.5 percent shooting overall.
Keni Jo Lippe closed out the game for ORU going 7-for-8 from the free-throw line in the final minute of the game.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim scored 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
Denver: Samantha Romanowski recorded 18 points and Jordyn Alt had nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 50.9 percent overall in the game.
- ORU out-rebounded Denver 36-33.
- The Golden Eagles had a 60 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 12 times, but forced the Pioneers to also turn the ball over 12 times.
- ORU shot 73.3 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 18 points with seven rebounds and five assists. She also had three steals and two blocks.
- Maya Mayberry recorded 11 points with one rebound.
- Montserrat Brotons scored eight points with two assists.
- Rachel Skalnik tallied six points with one rebound and one assist.
- Sarah Garvie scored 17 points and had a career high six rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe had seven points with four rebounds and one assist.
- ORU had 28 points in the paint and 17 bench points in the game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 14 points off turnovers.
ORU advances to the Summit League Championship semifinal round and will take on the No. 1 seed South Dakota Coyotes Monday, March 5 at 12 p.m. at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.