Score: Oral Roberts 95 – Rockhurst 31 | Exhibition
Records: Oral Roberts (0-0) (0-0); Rockhurst (0-0) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – All Golden Eagles who participated in Friday evening's game recorded points as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team defeated Rockhurst, 95-31, in exhibition play at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles came out hot with a 13-0 run that was extended to a 25-2 run as ORU shot 55 percent in the opening period. The Golden Eagles later extended their run to 29-2. ORU out-scored Rockhurst 17-13 in the second quarter and led 42-15 at the break.
Maya Mayberry led the Golden Eagles with 18 points followed by Keni Jo Lippe with 16 points. Mayberry went 7-for-12 overall and 2-for-2 from the three-point line. Overall, the Golden Eagles went 8-for-17 from long range for 47 percent. ORU's defense forced 30 turnovers by Rockhurst. The Golden Eagles held the Hawks to 36.7 percent overall shooting and 20 percent from the three-point line. Rockhurst had its second single digit scoring quarter in the third period with five points.
Every Golden Eagle who participated in the game contributed with points. Regan Schumacher played the most minutes with 21 and led ORU with six rebounds. Rockhurst did not have a player scored in double-digits, as Rachel Holden was the team's scoring leader with eight going 4-for-4 overall. Lakota Beatty made her return in a Golden Eagle uniform and was one of the team's leading assistants with four along with seven points. Rylie Torrey made her debut and recorded five points with four assists. Sarah Garvie, Maya Mayberry and Rylie Torrey led the way with three steals each.
Down the stretch, ORU out-scored 23-11 in the fourth quarter and took their largest lead of the game by 64 points with 41 seconds remaining. Rockhurst never led in Friday's matchup, but the game was tied for a total of 13 seconds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 53.7 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Rockhurst 35-22.
- The Golden Eagles had a 47.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over nine times, but forced the Hawks to turn the ball over 30 times.
- ORU shot 71 percent from the free-throw line.
- Montserrat Brotons went 3-for-3 overall for six points.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 16 points and recorded three rebounds. She went a perfect 6-for-6 from the charity stripe and 2-for-2 from long range.
- Regan Schumacher recorded eight points and six rebounds with two steals.
- ORU had 55 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 33 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will open the 2018-19 season at the Mabee Center, Tuesday, November 6 against Harris-Stowe State. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.