Score: Oral Roberts 58 – Kansas 70
Records: ORU (1-2) (0-0); Kansas (2-0) (0-0)
Location: Allen Fieldhouse – Lawrence, Kan.
LAWRENCE, Kan. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team out-scored the Kansas Jayhawks in three of the four quarters in Tuesday evening's, 70-58, loss at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kansas.
A quick start for Kansas propelled the Jayhawks to a 12 point win over ORU. Kansas out-scored the Golden Eagles 29-11 in the first quarter and shot 71 percent overall from the field. From then on the Golden Eagles out-scored the Jayhawks in the remaining three quarters for a combined 47-41 advantage.
Free-throws were the main difference in the game as Kansas got to the line and took advantage of 32 attempts by connecting on 24 of them. The Golden Eagles had 17 free-throw attempts with 15 of them coming in the second half. Overall, ORU went 11-for-17 from the charity stripe overall. Keni Jo Lippe led the team going 6-for-8 form the line in the game.
Lakota Beatty was the scoring leader for ORU with 18 points shooting 50 percent overall from the field (7-for-14). Beatty went 3-for-7 from long range and had seven rebounds. Montserrat Brotons recorded a career high 16 points going 7-for-11 overall from the field and 2-for-4 from the free-throw line. Brotons also co-led the team in rebounding with seven. Keni Jo Lippe also had a double-digit night with 10 points and six of those points coming from free-throws. ORU committed 14 turnovers in the game and forced Kansas to commit 11. The Golden Eagles only committed four of their 14 turnovers in the second half.
Kansas' largest lead of the night came in the first quarter with a 21 point advantage. ORU cut the lead down to nine with 4:24 remaining in the third quarter. The Golden Eagles dealt with foul trouble as Montserrat Brotons, Jordan Gilbert and Katie Kirkhart reached four fouls in the game. Maya Mayberry fouled out of the game when she collected her fifth foul with just over three minutes to play in the final period. ORU's defense held the Jayhawks to 2-for-15 from the three-point line and stole the ball six times.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 38.9 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Kansas out-rebounded ORU 40-28. The Golden Eagles had 10 offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 25 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 14 times, but forced the Jayhawks to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 64.7 percent from the free-throw line.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored 10 points and recorded three rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty went 3-for-7 from three-point range and scored 18 points with seven rebounds and two assists.
- Montserrat Brotons recorded a career high 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
- Maya Mayberry tallied six points.
- ORU had 11 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with eight points off of turnovers and 26 points in the paint.
ORU returns to the Mabee Center to host crosstown rival, Tulsa, in the annual Mayor's Cup game Saturday, November 17 at 2 p.m. It will be Native American Heritage Day and the Golden Eagles will be wearing the Nike N7 turquoise uniforms.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.