Score: Oral Roberts 68 – Tulsa 76
Records: ORU (1-3) (0-0); Tulsa (2-2) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – For the first time in five seasons the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in the annual Mayor's Cup game, 76-68, Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
The annual crosstown rivalry started with close back-to-back action between the Golden Eagles and the Golden Hurricane. ORU came out of the first quarter with a five point advantage after the team shot 41 percent from the field and held Tulsa to 35 percent. The Golden Hurricane stormed back in the second quarter and out-scored ORU 24-18 and took a one point lead, 34-33, in to halftime.
After leading 53-52 at the end of the third quarter, ORU only scored two points in the first five minutes of play in the final 10 minutes and were out-scored 24-15 in the fourth. Tulsa extended its advantage and took a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to play. Jordan Gilbert scored six of her 15 points in the fourth quarter. Gilbert led the team with seven rebounds.
Lakota Beatty led the Golden Eagles with 18 points going 6-for-10 overall and 3-for-5 from beyond the arc. As a whole, ORU shot 44 percent from the field, but went 18-for-28 from the free-throw line for 64 percent. The Golden Eagle defense held Tulsa to 43 percent overall shooting and forced 15 turnovers. Tulsa took advantage of 16 offensive rebounds, while ORU had seven.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 44.2 percent overall in tonight's game.
- Tulsa out-rebounded ORU 45-30. The Golden Eagles had seven offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 40 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Golden Hurricane to turn the ball over 15 times.
- ORU shot 64.3 percent from the free-throw line.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored eight points and recorded three rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty went 6-for-10 overall and scored 18 points with two rebounds and two assists.
- Jordan Gilbert had her first double-digit game of the season with 15 points and led the team with seven rebounds. Gilbert also had three steals.
- Regan Schumacher tallied eight points with four rebounds and three steals.
- ORU had 31 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 20 points off of turnovers and 36 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles challenge the UMKC Kangaroos Tuesday, November 20 at 7 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.