Score: Oral Roberts 75 – UMKC 64
Records: ORU (2-3) (0-0); UMKC (0-4) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Keni Jo Lippe scored a career high 24 points going 5-for-9 from three-point range in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's 75-64 win against UMKC Tuesday evening at the Mabee Center.
Lippe recorded her fourth double-digit effort of the season Tuesday evening with her first 20-plus point game. She went 7-for-13 overall and 5-for-9 from long range. The sophomore forward led the Golden Eagles from the free throw line going 5-for-6. She had six of her 24 points in the first 10 minutes of play after ORU and UMKC tied the opening period 18-18.
The Golden Eagles took the game to halftime with a 39-28 lead and out-scored the Kangaroos 21-10 in the second quarter. In the second half, both teams scored 36 points. The Golden Eagles closed out the first half on an 8-0 run.
The Golden Eagles had a season high 17 assists in the game as Lakota Beatty led the team with a career high of seven. Beatty also tied her career high in the rebounding category with seven. Rylie Torrey had an ORU career high 16 points, shooting 7-for-12 overall and 2-for-5 from long range. Torrey also recorded three assists.
UMKC was led by Leilah Vigil who recorded a double-double with 24 points and 14 rebounds. Ericka Mattingly also had a 20 point night with eight rebounds. The Kangaroos went 39 percent from the field and 78 percent from the charity stripe. UMKC went on a 10-0 run to cut the Golden Eagles down to six in a 1:30 span under two minutes to go in the third quarter. As a whole, ORU shot 45 percent from the field and 39 percent from the three-point line.
The Golden Eagle defense forced 22 Kangaroo turnovers and held UMKC to 25 percent from the three point line. The Kangaroos grabbed 41 rebounds, 13 of those being offensive. ORU out-scored UMKC in three of the four quarters of play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 45.2 percent overall in tonight's game.
- UMKC out-rebounded ORU 41-35. The Golden Eagles had nine offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 39.1 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 15 times, but forced the Kangaroos to turn the ball over 22 times.
- ORU shot 62.5 percent from the free-throw line.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded a career high 24 points and had four rebounds.
- Lakota Beatty went 3-for-8 overall and scored nine points with seven rebounds and seven assists.
- Rylie Torrey scored a career high 16 points going 7-for-12 with three rebounds, three assists and one steal.
- Maya Mayberry had nine points with three rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Montserrat Brotons scored eight points with six rebounds.
- ORU had 29 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 27 points off of turnovers and 34 points in the paint.
ORU hits the road for two games beginning with a trip to San Marcos, Texas, to take on the Texas State Bobcats from the Sun Belt Conference Saturday, November 24 at 12 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.