Score: Oral Roberts 64 – Southern Utah 59
Records: ORU (4-4) (0-0); SUU (2-4) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team jumped back in to the win column Saturday afternoon with a 64-59 win over Southern Utah at the Mabee Center.
The Golden Eagles came out strong and started off with an 11-2 run. A game that seemed to be in control with a 23-14 advantage after the first quarter was quickly overturned with a 20-8 second quarter score in favor of Southern Utah. The Thunderbirds took a 34-31 lead in to halftime. After four lead changes, the Golden Eagles forced a three-plus minute Southern Utah scoring drought in the fourth quarter and extended their lead to seven. Free throws down the stretch were crucial for ORU as the Golden Eagles went 6-for-6 from the line in the final minute of play.
ORU shot 39 percent overall on the day with their best shooting percentage being 53 percent in the opening period of play. Lakota Beatty started the game scoring 10 points in the first quarter and finished the day with 20. Beatty contributed going 6-for-6 from the charity stripe, six rebounds, three assists and two steals. Regan Schumacher made her presence known on the court having a stellar day with four points, eight rebounds, two assists and three steals. One of Schumacher's steals led to a fast-break layup for the sophomore center in the third quarter to cut Southern Utah's lead down to three.
Maya Mayberry went 7-for-13 overall and 2-for-5 from the three-point line for 16 points. Mayberry finished with four boards and two steals. The Golden Eagles shot 23 percent from long range in the game for the lowest percentage of the season. As a team, ORU committed 15 turnovers, five of those were earned due to offensive fouls.
Southern Utah was led by Rebecca Cardenas with 14 points. Cardenas went 3-for-4 from the three-point line. Ashley Larsen co-led the Thunderbirds with Kiana Thomas for seven rebounds each. Southern Utah shot 35 percent overall on the day and 27 percent from the three-point line.
Oral Roberts: Lakota Beatty led the team with 20 points. It was Beatty's second 20-plus point game of the season. Regan Schumacher grabbed eight rebounds.
Southern Utah: Rebecca Cardenas scored 14 points. Ashley Larsen and Kiana Thomas each had seven rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 39.3 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Southern Utah, 40-39. The Golden Eagles had 13 offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 22.7 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 15 times, but forced the Thunderbirds to turn the ball over 15 times.
- ORU shot 68.2 percent from the free-throw line.
- Katie Kirkhart scored seven points with two rebounds, one assist and one block.
- Lakota Beatty captured her second 20-plus point game of the season with 20 points on the day. Beatty had six rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Regan Schumacher was one rebound shy of tying her career high with eight on the day. Schumacher also had four points, two assists and three steals.
- Maya Mayberry tallied 16 points with four rebounds. Mayberry also had two steals.
- ORU had 15 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 18 points off of turnovers and 32 points in the paint.
ORU will welcome the Central Christian Tigers for the annual Best Field Trip Ever game Monday, December 3 at 11 a.m. inside the Mabee Center. All tickets for the game are free.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.