Score: Oral Roberts 74 – Houston Baptist 56
Records: ORU (7-5) (0-0); HBU (4-5) (0-0)
Location: Sharp Gym – Houston, Texas
HOUSTON – Maya Mayberry recorded a career high 25 points and led Oral Roberts women's basketball team past Houston Baptist, 74-56, Sunday afternoon in Houston, Texas.
ORU came out on a mission in Sunday's game at Houston Baptist and jumped out to a 10 point lead midway through the first quarter. Then the Golden Eagles extended their lead to 20 in the second quarter before going in to the break up by 17. Maya Mayberry came out and scored 17 points in the first half of play and went 7-for-8 from the field. Overall, ORU shot 42 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes and 36 percent from long range.
The Golden Eagles shot 45 percent in the second half as ORU took its largest lead in the game by 24 in the fourth quarter. Lakota Beatty and Keni Jo Lippe both contributed in the points category scoring in double-digits. Each hit three, three-point buckets in the game. It was Beatty's fifth consecutive double-digit game and Lippe's fourth. Overall, the Golden Eagles held Houston Baptist to 32 percent shooting from the field and 13 percent from long range.
Maya Mayberry set a career high in the game with 25 points, 17 of those in the first half. Mayberry's stat line also included a career high in overall field-goals made with 10 and steals with six. She tied her career high in rebounding with five. It was her first 20-plus point game of the season. Lakota Beatty had 10 points in the day shooting 3-for-10 overall and Keni Jo Lippe had 11 points going 4-for-10 overall. Beatty set a career high with six assists on the day.
Houston Baptist had two double-digit scorers in the game with Taylor Kollmorgen leading the Huskies with 19 points. Lauren Calver was close behind with 17 points. Veronica Kirienko was the team's leading rebounder with 12. The Golden Eagles held Houston Baptist to 2-for-15 from beyond the arc and forced 23 turnovers.
Oral Roberts: Maya Mayberry led the team with 25 points. Montserrat Brotons was the team's leading rebounder with six.
Houston Baptist: Taylor Kollmorgen scored 19 points and Veronica Kirienko recorded 12 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 45.2 percent overall in tonight's game.
- HBU out-rebounded ORU 43-33. The Golden Eagles had seven offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 35.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 15 times, but forced the Huskies to turn the ball over 23 times.
- ORU shot 85.7 percent from the free-throw line (6-for-7).
- Lakota Beatty had 10 points going 3-for-10 overall. Beatty also had two rebounds and a career high six assists.
- Keni Jo Lippe contributed with 11 points and four rebounds. Lippe also had four assists
- Maya Mayberry had a career high 25 points shooting 10-for-12 overall and 4-for-4 from three-point range. Mayberry grabbed five boards with two assists and made a career high six steals.
- Rylie Torrey scored eight points with two assists and three steals.
- ORU had 14 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 27 points off of turnovers and 24 points in the paint.
ORU travels to Stillwater, Oklahoma, to face the Oklahoma State Cowgirls in the final nonconference game of the season Friday, December 21 at 7 p.m. inside Gallagher-Iba Arena.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.