Score: Oral Roberts 76 – Denver 93
Records: ORU (10-10) (3-4); DU (12-8) (5-2)
Location: Magness Arena – Denver, Colo.
DENVER – Rylie Torrey recorded her second 20 point game of the season as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team drops a 93-76 game at Denver Sunday afternoon in Denver, Colorado.
A tight first quarter battle led to ORU trailing only by one point. Denver shot 40 percent in the first quarter and held the Golden Eagles to 35 percent. The Pioneers continued their hot shooting and out-scored ORU 27-14 in the second quarter and went 12-for-16 for 75 percent. Denver led 44-30 at the break. Maya Mayberry had nine first half points and Lakota Beatty had six rebounds, all coming in the first quarter.
Each team scored 20-plus points in both quarters of the second half. ORU fell short to the Pioneers in both the third and fourth. Rylie Torrey came out and had 17 second half points as the Golden Eagles shot 41 percent in the final half. Denver continued to shoot lights out and shot 50 in the third and fourth quarters combined. Torrey went 7-for-8 from the free throw line for the game as ORU went 81 percent as a whole.
As the team's leading scorer, Torrey recorded her second 20 point game of the season. She went 3-for-8 from long range and 5-for-13 overall. Maya Mayberry contributed with 19 points of her own going 7-for-22 overall. Jordan Gilbert had 12 points on the day shooting 50 percent and added six rebounds. Keni Jo Lippe was the fourth Golden Eagle to score in double-digits. Lippe had 10 points and led the team with eight rebounds.
Denver had six double-digit scorers on the day. Madison Nelson led the Pioneers with 20 points going 8-for-11 overall. Courtney Smith had a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Lauren Loven scored 17 points and went 50 percent overall and 4-for-8 from long range. Altogether, Denver shot 54 percent overall and 52 percent from three-point range.
Oral Roberts: Torrey scored 20 points and Lippe had eight rebounds.
Denver: Nelson recorded 20 points and Smith grabbed 11 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 34.3 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Denver 45-38. The Golden Eagles had 15 offensive boards.
- The Golden Eagles had a 35.7 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Pioneers to turn the ball over 11 times.
- ORU shot 78.3 percent from the free-throw line (18-for-23).
- Rylie Torrey scored 20 points with four rebounds and one assist. It was her second 20 point game of the season.
- Maya Mayberry recorded 19 points with six rebounds and five assists.
- Jordan Gilbert had 12 points with five rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe tallied 10 points and led the team with eight rebounds.
- ORU had 18 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 10 points off of turnovers and 22 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles return home to begin a four game home stand on Saturday, January 26 at 2 p.m. against the North Dakota State Bison.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.