Score: No. 4 Oral Roberts 55 – No. 1 South Dakota State 86
Records: ORU (18-13) (10-6); SDSU (25-6) (15-1)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center – Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The No. 4 Oral Roberts women's basketball team was eliminated from the Summit League Tournament after falling to the No. 1 South Dakota State Jackrabbits, 86-55, Monday afternoon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
South Dakota State came out of the gate shooting lights out. The Golden Eagles trailed the Jacks 23-12 after the first. ORU went on a 4-plus minute scoring drought that saw the Jackrabbits go on a 9-0 run. In the second, ORU went on a 5-plus minute scoring drought before Sarah Garvie hit a three to break South Dakota State's 15-0 run. ORU trailed by as much as 24 in the second, but cut the deficit to 18 at the half. The Golden Eagles shot 30 percent from the field in the first half and trailed 47-29 at the break.
The Jacks extended their lead at the end of the third 65-37 after going on a 14-0 run. The Golden Eagles struggled offensively in the third after a four minute scoring drought. ORU was out-scored 18-8 in the third. In the fourth quarter, South Dakota State shot 89 percent from the field going 8-for-9. The Golden Eagles scored the most points of the game in the final period of play, but was out-scored 21-18, to fall 86-55.
Keni Jo Lippe and Maya Mayberry led the Golden Eagles with 10 points each. ORU shot its lowest shooting percentage of the season going 29 percent from the field. The Golden Eagles also had its lowest three-point percentage at 27 percent. Senior Jordan Gilbert had nine points on the day and Regan Schumacher led the Golden Eagles with seven rebounds.
The Jackrabbits had five score in double figures and were led by Summit League Player of the Year, Macy Miller, who had 18 points on the day. Tagyn Larson had 15 points in the game and led the Jackrabbits with eight rebounds. South Dakota State shot 55 percent in the game overall and 32 percent from long-range.
Oral Roberts: Lippe and Mayberry had 10 points each and Schumacher grabbed seven rebounds.
South Dakota State: Macy Miller led SDSU with 18 points and Larson had eight rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 28.9 percent overall in today's game.
- SDSU out-rebounded ORU 46-27. The Golden Eagles had 10 offensive boards for 11 second chance points.
- The Golden Eagles had a 26.9 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 11 times, but forced the Jackrabbits to turn the ball over 15 times.
- ORU shot 70 percent from the free-throw line (14-for-20).
- Keni Jo Lippe had 10 points on the day with most coming from the free-throw line. Lippe also had three rebounds.
- Maya Mayberry scored 10 points with three rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Regan Schumacher scored five points with seven rebounds and one assist.
- ORU had 14 bench points in today's game.
- The Golden Eagles capitalized with 15 points off of turnovers and 16 points in the paint.
The Golden Eagles await the outcome of the Summit League Tournament to see if they will receive an invitation to compete in a postseason tournament.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.