Score: UNLV 3 – Oral Roberts 1 (26-24, 23-25 ,25-10, 26-24)
Records: UNLV (6-3); Oral Roberts (5-4)
Location: Cox Pavilion – Las Vegas, Nev.
LAS VEGAS – A slow start to the third set proved too much for the Oral Roberts volleyball team to overcome Saturday falling, 3-1, to UNLV at the Rebel Challenge.
The Golden Eagles battled back and forth with the Rebels in the first two sets and pushed UNLV in the fourth, however for the second straight day costly errors were too much in the middle of the match. ORU falls to 5-4 on the season as UNLV improved to 6-3 with a 26-24, 23-25, 25-10, 26-24 victory.
Laura Milos rebounded with her best match of the weekend tallying 17 kills and 10 digs for a double-double. Shelby Cox continued her steady play adding 13 kills while also pacing the offense with a .364 hitting percentage and earning All-Tournament Team honors.
Lucija Bojanjac finished with a match-high 43 assists while Cox added three blocks on the defensive side of the net.
Bree Hammel, UNLV (MVP)
Alexis Patterson, UNLV
Sadie Stutzman, UNLV
Alyssa Wing (UNLV)
Tiffany Thomas (SLU)
Shelby Cox (ORU)
Eva Lunden (PSU)
Oral Roberts: Laura Milos finished with a match-high 17 kills while Shelby Cox added 13 and was tabbed to the All-Tournament Team. Cox also recorded three blocks and a .364 hitting percentage.
UNLV: Bre Hammel earned Tournament MVP honors as she paced the Rebels finishing with seven kills and six blocks. Ashley Owens added 13 kills.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Shelby Cox finished with a season-high 13 kills and 31 for the tournament.
- Laura Milos posted a double-double with 17 kills and 10 digs.
- Despite hovering near a team hitting percentage of .100, the Golden Eagles stayed with UNLV hitting .206 and .257 in the first and fourth sets.
- ORU finished 1-2 on the weekend with a win over Southeastern Louisiana on Friday.
- The Golden Eagles finished with eight blocks as a team – the second highest total of the season. ORU recorded 13 Friday against SLU while recording eight twice – Saturday vs. UNLV and last weekend vs. Miami.
A busy week waits as ORU returns to Tulsa for its 2015 home opener Wednesday against UT-Arlington. Action is set to begin at 7 p.m. The Golden Eagles will also host cross-town rival Tulsa on Friday before taking on North Texas and Houston Baptist at the Golden Hurricane Invitational at the Reynolds Center.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.