Score: Stephen F. Austin 3 - Oral Roberts 2
Records: SFA (5-3) - ORU (5-3)
Location: United Supermarkets Arena - Lubbock, Texas
LUBBOCK, Texas -- The Oral Roberts volleyball team saw its five-match win streak come to an end Friday afternoon in its opener of the Texas Tech Invitational against Stephen F. Austin, 3-2 (25-15, 27-25, 25-23, 25-18, 15-10).
The Golden Eagles (5-3) opened the match with masterful performances on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, taking a 25-15 win in the opening set and allowing only three kills to the Lumberjacks. The Golden Eagles saw seven of the team's 12 service aces fall in the first set. Laura Milos, who leads the nation in aces per set, tallied four of her seven aces on the day in the opening frame.
The Lumberjacks made the changes necessary to withstand ORU's offensive barrage in the second and third sets, going on top two sets to one thanks in part to strong back-row defense. As a team, ORU was held to .122 and .083 respectively on the offensive attack in the second and third sets.
The SFA (5-3) offense came to life in the second set at just the right moment. Down by six points at 20-14 late in the set, ORU put together an 11-2 run to take a late 24-22 lead, but the Jacks used a pair of Golden Eagle errors to tie the match with a 27-25 win.
The Jacks were able to squeak away with yet another two-point win in the third set before the Golden Eagle offense came roaring back to life in the fourth set, when the squad went for a .310 attacking percent to tie the match at four, but it was all Stephen F. Austin in the fifth and final set of the day as the Lumberjacks jumped out to an early lead at 6-3 before cruising to the 15-10 set victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Laura Milos finished the day with 86 attacks and fell just three kills (35) short of tying her career high. It marks the first time this year the junior has surpassed the 30+ kill mark and the fourth time she has tallied 20+ kills in a match. Milos fell just three aces short of a rare triple double.
- Tori Roe and Milos each tallied 25 digs on the afternoon to lead the squad. No other player had double-digits in the category.
- Lucija Bojanjac assisted on 54 of the team's 68 kills on the day. The junior also had nine digs and two block assists.
- As a team, ORU finished with 12 service aces but also went for 21 service errors.
- It marked the first time this season that the Golden Eagles went to five sets.
- With the Oral Roberts loss, SFA cuts the ORU all-time series lead to 4-3.
ORU will wrap up the Texas Tech Invitational Saturday with a pair of matches, first against Abilene Christian at 2 p.m. before facing host Texas Tech at 6 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.