Score: ORU 3 – Western Illinois 0
Records: ORU (14-12, 6-6 SL) – WIU (4-25, 1-12 SL)
Location: Western Hall (Macomb, Ill.)
MACOMB, Ill. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team was efficient from start to finish picking up a lopsided victory in three sets at Western Illinois Tuesday evening (25-8, 25-18, 25-19) to even its record in The Summit League at 6-6 and sweep the season series.
The Golden Eagles hit .265 for the night, but most importantly, held the Fighting Leathernecks to a .048 hitting percentage as they inch closer to a spot in the conference tournament with four matches remaining in the regular season. Five different players hit above .300 for ORU as Laura Milos paced the offense with 19 kills hitting .400.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagles limited the Leathernecks to just eight points in the opening set, the first time holding an opponent to single digits all season. It also marked an opposition's first set in single figures, other than a fifth set, since Nov. 4, 2014 against Omaha (25-9).
- The defense forced seven attack errors by WIU in set one and allowed just six kills for a -.043, while posting 14 kills with one error on the offensive side for a .481 hitting percentage.
- Bria Bergman and Lucija Bojanjac combined for 31 of ORU's 37 set assists tallying 16 and 15, respectively.
- Taylan Nero led ORU with four block assists and the freshman has now recorded at least one block in 19 of her 20 appearances this season.
- Milos and Tori Roe each posted nine digs to lead the Golden Eagles defensively as Milos narrowly missed the double-double.
- Already the top team in the NCAA in total service aces, ORU added seven to its total for the year getting two from Milos, Bergman and Maggie DiPronio and one by Katarina Mikulic.
- Riley Schumacher was one of eight players for WIU with a kill finishing with a team-leading six.
ORU is right back on the road for another pivotal match in The Summit League with a chance to clinch a postseason berth and sweep the season series Friday (Nov. 4) at Denver.