Match One Score: No. 25 Purdue 3 – ORU 0
Match One Records: Purdue (1-0) – ORU (0-1)
Match Two Score: Alabama 3 – ORU 0
Match Two Records: Alabama (2-0) – ORU (0-2)
Location: Holloway Gymnasium (West Lafayette, Ind.)
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team matched up against two Power Five schools on opening day of the 2017 season falling to No. 25 Purdue and Alabama during the Purdue Mortar Board Premiere.
The Golden Eagles opened the scoring in all three sets against the perennial power Boilermakers before the hosts used a surge each time to claim the victory. ORU had a tough time handling the high-powered offense as Purdue tallied a .482 hitting percentage, while the visitors jumped from hitting .031 in the opening set to a .414 clip in the final set. Sophomore transfer CeCe Madison and senior Laura Milos each hit double-figure kills tying for the team lead with 11.
ORU fell behind early to Alabama in the Friday finale and could not recover, despite keeping within striking distance. Milos got a hot hand for the Golden Eagles posting a match-high 19 kills with an impressive .410 hitting percentage. Madison joined the senior in double figures with 12 kills
Inside the Match One Box Score
- Madison quickly showcased her offensive potential totaling 11 kills for the Golden Eagles, including six in the final set.
- Milos got off to a slow start with two errors on her first five swings, but rebounded to finish the match tying Madison for the team lead.
- For the first time in her ORU career, junior Bria Bergman guided the attack posting 17 set assists and senior Lucija Bojanjac added 13. Junior Tori Roe led the defense with eight digs.
- Sophomore Bri Greenlee came off the bench and paced ORU by hitting .500 for the match with five kills, while freshman Morgan Blomquist earned a spot in the starting lineup and added four kills in her collegiate debut.
- Purdue's Sherridan Atkinson used her significant size advantage standing in at 6-foot, 5-inches to reach a match-high 13 kills on 19 swings.
Inside the Match Two Box Score
- The offense turned to Milos in the third set trying to claw back as the senior tallied 10 of the team's 15 kills in the final set. She also tallied her first two service aces of the year as the reigning NCAA leader in aces and aces per set.
- Bergman continued her strong effort on opening day totaling a team-leading 18 assists.
- Sophomore Taylan Nero added four kills and led the Golden Eagles with three blocks.
- Roe picked up nine digs to pace the defense, while Milos and Madison added eight.
- Leah Lawrence recorded the Crimson Tide's offense with 10 kills on 14 swings.
ORU closes its opening weekend at the Purdue Mortar Board Premiere Saturday morning facing NCAA Tournament participant from 2016 and 2017 Horizon League preseason favorite, Cleveland State. The match gets underway at 11 a.m.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.