Score: Cleveland State 2 – ORU 3
Records: Cleveland State (1-2) – ORU (0-3)
Location: Holloway Gymnasium (West Lafayette, Ind.)
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Oral Roberts volleyball raced out to a two-set lead and looked in control until Cleveland State rallied back for a victory in five sets (21-25, 22-25, 25-23, 25-19, 15-8) Saturday afternoon at Holloway Gymnasium.
In the final match of the opening weekend at the Purdue Mortar Board Premiere, the Golden Eagles used a balanced, efficient offense to jump in front. As ORU tried to close out the sweep with a 20-18 lead in set three, the Horizon League preseason favorite Vikings called a timeout before scoring seven of the final 10 points to stay alive and swing momentum in their favor.
Lucija Bojanjac tallied the first double-double of the season for ORU with 26 set assists and 10 digs and Laura Milos converted a match-high 25 kills on her way to being named to the all-tournament team.
Inside the Box Score
- Bri Greenlee figured prominently into the ORU offense recording a career-high 10 kills reaching double digits for the first time as a Golden Eagle.
- Taylan Nero was efficient all match posting seven kills and a team-leading .438 hitting percentage to go with three blocks. Milos registered the ORU's only solo block and added two block assists.
- CeCe Madison added 14 kills to hit double figures for the third-straight match, but closed the day with 11 attacking errors.
- Setters Bojanjac and Bria Bergman combined for 50 assists tallying 26 and 24, respectively. Bergman's 24 set assists set a new career-high for a single match.
- Tori Roe led the Golden Eagles defensively posting a season-high 19 digs.
- Trinniti Hall provided a bulk of the offense for Cleveland State totaling 22 kills, while Rachel Stover (14) and Alexis Middlebrooks (12) also reached double figures. The Vikings reached the NCAA Tournament a season ago.
The Golden Eagles hit the road for another difficult weekend inside a Big 10 arena heading to Lincoln, Nebraska for the Ameritas Players Challenge hosted by the University of Nebraska Sept. 1-2. ORU opens against Saint Mary's Friday at 10 a.m. before facing the host and nationally-ranked Huskers in primetime at 7:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.