Match One Score: Oral Roberts 1 – Ball State 3
Records: ORU (1-4) – BSU (4-1)
Match Two Score: Oral Roberts 3 – Grambling State 0
Records: ORU (2-4) – GSU (0-6)
Location: Hammons Student Center (Springfield, Mo.)
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team split a pair of matches on the final day of the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational falling to Ball State in four sets (25-18, 19-25, 14-25, 18-25) and closing with a sweep of Grambling State (25-15, 25-11, 27-17) Saturday at Hammons Student Center.
The Golden Eagles got the day started on a high note winning the opening set against the Cardinals utilizing five kills from CeCe Madison and Inka Inkret. BSU used late surges in the next three sets to break open an even contest and claim the victory.
Tori Roe was a force on the defensive side of the ball during match one of the day recording a career-high 28 digs on her way to All-Tournament Team honors.
ORU capped the day with a dominating performance over the Tigers in straight sets led by a career performance from Morgan Blomquist, who notched 12 kills and five block assists. The Golden Eagles led for nearly every point with only one lead change taking place early in the second set.
Inside the Match One Box Score
- Roe's 28 digs were the most by an ORU player since Bruna Silva recorded 31 against Northwestern State Oct. 5, 2013. The senior from St. Louis, Missouri also moved up to eighth on the all-time digs list passing Juliana Moser (1996-99) with 1,141.
- Inkret led the attack for the Golden Eagles with 13 kills, while Madison also reached double figures with 11. Madison was one dig shy of a double-double finishing with nine.
- ORU had its most effective outing of the year at the serving line totaling six aces and three errors. Katarina Mikulic posted three aces and Roe, Inkret and Bria Bergman tallied the other service aces.
- Bergman guided the offense with 41 set assists.
Inside the Match Two Box Score
- Blomquist was at her finest all afternoon on her way to a career-best 12 kills and needed only 18 swings to reach the mark for a .667 hitting percentage without committing an error. The sophomore also led the blocking attack with five block assists.
- Lara Picht registered nine kills and a .318 hitting percentage, while Taylan Nero hit .500 with eight kills on 12 swings.
- Roe again paced the defense recording 10 digs to reach double figures for the fifth time this season.
- Bergman distributed 36 set assists and dropped in four kills with four digs.
- Redshirt freshmen Victoria Mayes and Mya King made their collegiate debuts and each delivered a kill in the final set sealing the victory.
The Golden Eagles head across town for their next three matches taking part in the Tulsa Volleyball Invitational hosted at the Donald W. Reynolds Center Sept. 7-8.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.