Score: Oral Roberts 1 – Denver 3 (Box Score)
Records: ORU (3-10, 0-1 SL) – DU (12-1, 1-0 SL)
Location: Aerobics Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – In its home and Summit League opener, the Oral Roberts volleyball team used a boisterous crowd to rally for a remarkable win the first set, but Denver was able to outlast the Golden Eagles claiming the next three (26-24, 19-25, 18-25, 23-25) Friday night at the Aerobics Center.
After a slow start in the first frame where it fell behind 10-1, ORU did not back down chipping away at the deficit. The Golden Eagles continued to fight late and erased two set points before going on to score the final five points in a 26-24 victory.
The four-time defending conference champion Pioneers responded by limiting the home side in sets two and three before a fourth-set battle ensued. The final frame featured 13 tie scores and five lead changes as the intensity ramped up, but it was Denver that scored five of the last seven points to escape with The Summit League victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Bria Bergman recorded her sixth double-double in the last seven appearances as she tallied a match-best 40 set assists and posted 16 digs. The senior also hit six kills and one service ace.
- ORU's middles were excellent both offensively and defensively as Morgan Blomquist led the Golden Eagles with a .412 hitting percentage on nine kills, while Taylan Nero added five kills on 10 swings for a .400 hitting percentage. Blomquist also paced the team with a solo block and six block assists as four others had two block assists.
- Tori Roe registered a match-high 19 digs to go with five assists.
- CeCe Madison returned to the ORU lineup for the first time in more than two weeks and finished with seven kills and eight digs.
- ORU increased its offensive hitting percentage in every set and closed the match with 18 kills of 23 points scored in the fourth stanza.
The Golden Eagles close a weekend home stand facing South Dakota Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. inside the Aerobics Center. The match also will have live video and stats available at www.ORUAthletics.com.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.