Score: Oral Roberts 1 – South Dakota 3
Records: ORU (3-11, 0-2 SL) – USD (8-6, 2-0 SL)
Location: Aerobics Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – Only six points separated the two teams Sunday afternoon as the Oral Roberts volleyball team picked up an opening set win before South Dakota responded with the next three frames for the win (24-26, 21-25, 23-25, 23-25) at the Aerobics Center.
The Golden Eagles fought off one set point in the first stanza and won three-straight points to cap a remarkable come-from-behind effort. ORU avoided three set points in the second set thanks to three-straight kills from junior CeCe Madison, who finished with a career-best 23 kills, but the Coyotes finally stopped the momentum to even the match.
A pair of service aces by senior Tori Roe highlighted a 7-0 run by the Golden Eagles in the third frame before USD erased the deficit scoring the final six points of the set. The teams traded 3-0 runs late in set four until USD closed the match for the road win.
Inside the Box Score
- Madison posted 23 kills, the most by an ORU attacker since Laura Milos' 25 kills against Denver (Nov. 19, 2017), and added 17 digs for her second double-double in 2018.
- Bria Bergman tallied another double-double with a match-high 48 set assists and added 13 digs.
- The Golden Eagles defense held a 92-81 margin in digs over the Coyotes as five players reached double figured led by Tori Roe's 23.
- Inka Inkret (11) and Morgan Blomquist (10) each registered double-figure kills for ORU.
- The tightly-contested battle featured 21 tie scores and nine lead changes.
The Golden Eagles head to Summit League newcomer North Dakota for a Friday night matchup against the Fighting Hawks Sept. 28 at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.