Score: Oral Roberts 4 – Oklahoma State 2
Records: ORU (18-9) – OSU (19-9)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Anthony Sequeira provided the game-winning RBI double in the eighth and then closed out the game on the mound as Oral Roberts topped No. 11 Oklahoma State 4-2 Tuesday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
With the win, ORU is now 3-1 against the Big 12 this season and has won eight games in a row. Tuesday's victory was also the second win over a ranked opponent this season after topping No. 12 Texas Tech March 17.
Rolando Martinez was 3-4 offensively and scored two of the four runs for ORU, while Matt Brandy and Sequeira each knocked in a pair of RBI. For Brandy it was a two-run home run in the first inning, while Sequeira had the clutch hit in the bottom of the eighth, driving a ball to left center to score Martinez and Matt Whatley.
Oklahoma State got three hits from its leadoff hitter, Tim Arakawa, while Dustin Williams added a pair of hits. Hayden Holley got the win on the mound for ORU in relief of Bryce Howe, who pitched five innings giving up two runs on two hits but left with the game tied. Trey Cobb took the loss on the mound for the Cowboys after giving up the final two runs on three hits.
With two outs in the bottom of the eighth, Sequeira ripped a two-RBI double to the wall to give ORU the 4-2 lead.
Oral Roberts: Martinez had three hits and Whatley added two more, but it was Brandy's home run and Sequeira's double that drove in all four ORU runs.
Oklahoma State: Arakawa was 3-4 and scored once to lead the Cowboy offense.
Inside the Box Score
- Howe was perfect through three innings, retiring the first nine Cowboys in order. He went 5 innings to match his longest outing of the year, giving up both OSU runs on two hits.
- Both teams had seven hits in the game. OSU left six runners on base and ORU left four on base.
- After a great start from Howe, ORU used four pitchers to get through the final four innings. OSU used just two pitchers for the game.
- Brandy wasted no time putting ORU on the board with a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning.
- OSU got the first two batters on with a single and a walk in the fourth inning and worked both around to score and tie the game 2-2.
- OSU threatened in the sixth with runners on second and third with one out, but Tyler Buss was able to get out of the jam to keep the game tied.
- ORU's rally came in the bottom of the eighth as the Golden Eagles got runners on second and third with one out after singles by Whatley and Martinez and a wild pitch.
- With two outs in the inning Sequeira took advantage of his opportunity and ripped a pitch to left center for a two RBI double to give the Golden Eagles a 4-2 lead.
The Golden Eagles head to South Dakota State for three games this weekend. First pitch Friday is scheduled for 3 p.m. from Brookings, S.D.