Score: Oral Roberts 10 – IPFW 5
Records: ORU 12-9 (4-1 SL) – IPFW (11-8, 2-3 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium / Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team matched its season high with 16 hits as the Golden Eagles topped IPFW 10-5 Saturday, clinching their second Summit League series of the season.
Tyler Buss (1-0) got the win on the mound, shutting the Mastodons down for the final 4.2 innings. Buss struck out four and did not allow a run on four hits. Chase Stafford continued his tear with three hits and four RBI, giving him 10 runs batted in in the last two games. Audie Afenir also hit the ball hard with three hits on the day.
Kendall Whitman, Shane Trevino and Jackson Boyce each had three hits for IPFW, helping the Mastodons to 15 hits in the game.
ORU broke the game open with a six-run fourth inning. It was the first six run inning of the season for the Golden Eagles.
Oral Roberts: Stafford and Afenir each had three hits, while Stafford tallied four RBI. Buss pitched 4.2 innings for the win, striking out four and allowing just four hits.
IPFW: Whitman, Trevino and Boyce each had three hits for the Mastodons.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU scored six runs in the fourth inning, the first six-run inning since April 27, 2014 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
- With 16 hits in the game, ORU matched its season high for hits, reaching that mark for the third time in 2015.
- ORU now has 53 combined hits over the last four games, averaging better than 13 per game.
- Stafford extended his on-base streak to 15 games, while Afenir and Matt Brandy each moved to 11 straight games reaching safely.
- Eight different Golden Eagles tallied at least one base hit in the game. The exception was Matt Whatley, who drew two walks, scoring twice and earning an RBI on a bases loaded walk.
- VanSumeren led the game off with a single to right and after a quick fly ball, the Mastodons strung together three straight singles to take a 2-0 lead in the first inning.
- A passed ball allowed a third IPFW run in the top of the first inning.
- An RBI single down the right field line by Stafford got ORU on the board in the bottom of the first, scoring Whatley to make it 3-1.
- The big Golden Eagle rally came in the fourth as ORU loaded the bases with no outs. Whatley drew the walk to score a run and Stafford pounded a bases-clearing double into the gap in left-center to put ORU on top 5-3 with four runs in the inning.
- ORU made it a six-run inning and 7-3 lead with a base hit from Afenir and an errant throw by the pitcher on Sequeira's squeeze bunt attempt.
- IPFW cut it to 7-5 with a pair of runs in the top of the fifth with four straight base hits, including a double by VanSumeren.
- ORU got the runs back in the bottom of the fifth when Martinez sent one to centerfield to score Brandy. Afenir followed with a blast over the left fielder's head to score Martinez from first to make it 9-5.
- In the seventh, ORU made it 10-5 as a one-out double by Afenir led to a run after moving to third on a ground ball and scoring on a wild pitch.
ORU will look to sweep the series against IPFW on Sunday as the two teams play game three at 1 p.m.