Score: Oral Roberts 12 – IPFW 4
Records: ORU (13-9, 5-1 SL) – IPFW (11-9, 2-4 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium / Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The bats for the Oral Roberts baseball team stayed hot Sunday as the Golden Eagles finished a 12-4 win to complete a three-game Summit League sweep against IPFW.
The Golden Eagles jumped on the Mastodons early plating a run in the first and third innings before breaking the game open in the fifth. ORU finished with 11 hits on Sunday and totaled 36 hits over the weekend.
Audie Afenir, Anthony Sequeira and Derrian James all picked up two RBI as Afenir finished 3-for-5 with two runs scored. James added three runs scored while also adding a pair of doubles for the Golden Eagles.
Kurt Giller earned his third win of the season to move to 3-3 as he allowed just two hits and two runs through five innings.
ORU broke the game open with a four run fifth inning scoring four runs on the three hits. An Afenir single up the middle scored two of the runs before Sequeira singled home Rolando Martinez to give the Golden Eagles a 6-1 lead.
Oral Roberts: Afenir finished 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. Sequeira and James also added two RBI while Matt Whatley joined the trio with a pair of hits.
IPFW: Brock Logan and Jackson Boyce finished 1-for-3 with an RBI.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU used two big innings to put away IPFW just as they had done all weekend scoring four runs in the fifth and five more runs in the seventh.
- Giller's six strikeouts was one shy of a season-high after striking out seven at Louisiana Tech on Feb. 28.
- The Golden Eagles totaled 39 hits over the three-game series with IPFW. It was the second most in a series this season behind 40 hits against SIUE on Feb. 20-21.
- Stafford extended his on-base streak to 16 games after drawing a walk on Sunday.
- Afenir and Matt Brandy have now reached safely in 12 straight games.
- Every starter for ORU tallied an RBI on Sunday as Emmanuel Forcier and Dean Wilson both entered in the eighth inning with only Forcier earning an official at bat.
- Brandy pushed a sacrifice fly to right field scoring Whatley in the bottom of the first after Whatley reached on an error to start the inning.
- James gave ORU an 2-0 lead in the bottom of the third after a lead-off double saw him score two batters later on a sacrifice fly from Stafford.
- ORU scored four runs on three hits in the fifth inning starting with a bases loaded walk to Martinez. A single from Afenir plated Stafford and Whatley before Sequeira singled into right to score Martinez.
- Trevino pushed Soat across the plate for the first run for the Mastodons in the sixth. Logan singled up the middle to score Whitman who had doubled earlier in the inning to make it a 6-2 lead for ORU.
- A sacrifice fly from Cummings in the seventh started a five run, seventh inning for the Golden Eagles. Roark singled just one batter later to score Afenir before James' second double plated Roark and Sequeira. Whatley capped the scoring in the inning with an infield single to score James.
- Sequeira doubled in the eighth to add another insurance run for ORU as Afenir scored from first.
- A sacrifice fly from Herberger gave IPFW its final run in the top of the ninth as the Mastodons threatened, but couldn't take advantage, leaving two runners on.
ORU heads to Arkansas-Little Rock Tuesday for a single mid-week meeting with the Trojans. First pitch against UALR is scheduled for 6 p.m.