Score: Oral Roberts 5 – Texas Tech 4
Records: ORU (21-10) – TTU (19-14)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Down three after an inning, the Oral Roberts baseball team climbed all the way back and got a go-ahead double in the bottom of the eighth to top No. 19 Texas Tech Tuesday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
ORU scored five runs on 10 hits to notch its fourth win over a Big 12 team this season, including the second of the year against the Red Raiders. Anthony Sequeira and Nick Roark each had a pair of base hits, while Roark and Derrian James each had two RBIs.
Colin Hightower shut Texas Tech down in the eighth inning and earned his first victory of the season on the mound.
Tyler Neslony led the Texas Tech offense with three of the Red Raider's 11 hits. Matt Custred, who had not allowed a run in eight appearances, took the loss after giving up the go-ahead run in the eighth.
Down 4-3 with two outs in the eighth, James blasted a double into left center field to give ORU its first lead of the game. Sequeira shut Texas Tech down in the ninth for his fourth save of the season.
Oral Roberts: Roark had two hits and two RBIs in the game. Hightower (1-0) earned the win on the mound, while Sequeira earned his fourth save of the season with a quick ninth inning.
Texas Tech: Neslony had three hits and one RBI, while Eric Gutierrez had a pair of hits and an RBI.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU used seven pitchers in the victory, with Hightower earning the win after pitching a scoreless eighth inning.
- The Golden Eagles notched 10 hits in the game marking the sixth time in the last seven games in which ORU has had at least 10 hits in a contest.
- Roark and Derrian James each had a pair of RBIs, with James earning the tying and go-ahead RBIs in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- ORU is now 2-1 against Texas Tech this season, and 4-1 against the Big 12, adding victories over Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
- After a strikeout to start the game, Texas Tech responded in a big way with three runs on three hits, scoring on a pair of singles and a passed ball.
- Roark flared one into center field in the bottom of the third to score Rolando Martinez to get ORU on the board.
- ORU cut further into the lead in the bottom of the fourth as Sequeira ripped an RBI double into the gap in right center to make it 3-2.
- A solo homerun by Quinn Carpenter pushed it back to a 4-2 margin in the sixth inning.
- After a leadoff double into the corner by Noah Cummings, Roark earned his second RBI of the game with a shot to right to score the run and make it 4-3.
- A one-out double by Dean Wilson in the eighth put the tying run in scoring position and Matt Whatley drew the walk to put two on for James.
- James came through with a two-out, two-RBI double to the wall in left center to give ORU its first lead of the day, 5-4 in the bottom of the eighth inning.
ORU returns to Summit League play this weekend as the Golden Eagles travel to Western Illinois for three games.