Score: Oral Roberts 8 – South Dakota State 7 (10 Innings)
Records: ORU (29-13, 16-5 SL) – SDSU (26-16, 13-8 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts used a game-tying two-run homerun in the eighth and an RBI single in the 10th to come back and beat South Dakota State 8-7 in 10 innings Sunday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
Although ORU has had plenty of late-inning heroics this season, Sunday marked just the second win when trailing after seven innings, and the first walk-off win this year. ORU has also out-scored opponents 3-1 in extra innings this season.
Matt Whatley provided the game-winning RBI single in the 10th, capping off a 4-5 day at the plate. Whatley scored three times as well. Anthony Sequeira was 3-5 at the plate with two RBI and was the winning pitcher, closing out the final four innings without giving up a hit, striking out six Jackrabbits. Derrian James had just one hit in the game, but it was a big one, tying the game 7-7 in the eighth inning on a two-run homerun, his fourth homerun of the season.
Paul Jacobson led SDSU's offense with three hits, while Zach Coppola and Tony Kjolsing each had a pair of hits. Andrew Clemen took the loss on the mound, pitching the 10th inning for the Jackrabbits.
With two outs in the eighth, Whatley doubled off the wall in right center, and Derrian James brought him home with a towering two-run homerun to tie the game, 7-7.
Oral Roberts: Whatley was 4-5 at the plate, scoring a team-best three runs in the game. James and Sequeira each had a pair of RBIs.
South Dakota State: Jacobson had three hits while Luke Ringhofer had two RBIs.
Inside the Box Score
- With a stolen base in the first inning, Whatley swiped his 14th base of the year, passing Bob Zupcic for fourth in the ORU freshman record books.
- After Kjolsing led off the fifth with a triple, he was erased on a great play by Dean Wilson, who fielded the ball deep in the hole and fired home to erase the runner.
- Sequeira had his longest outing of the season on the mound at four innings. Prior to Sunday, Sequeira had not gone more than two innings in any of his 16 outings. He also recorded a season high six strikeouts.
- ORU had four extra base hits in the game, including doubles from Whatley, Sequeira and Rolando Martinez, as well as James' homerun.
- ORU wasted no time jumping on top as Whatley and James reached, moving to second and third on a sacrifice bunt by Matt Brandy. A groundout scored the first run, and a throwing error kept the inning alive and scored the second ORU run of the inning.
- ORU made it 3-0 in the first on an RBI double down the line from Martinez, scoring Audie Afenir from first.
- Sequeira ripped a one-out double down the line in the third inning and came around to score on a single up the middle from Logan Domenico, giving ORU a 4-0 lead.
- Ringhofer got SDSU on the board in the fourth, pulling a two-run homerun to left to cut ORU's lead to 4-2.
- The Jackrabbits tied the game in the sixth, getting the first two batters on with a single and a double. After a pitching change, the first two pitches got past the catcher allowing two runs to score.
- A single to right by Kjolsing allowed SDSU to take a 5-4 lead in the sixth, and a squeeze play pushed across another run.
- A fifth run in the inning scored on a shallow single to center from Eric Danforth, putting SDSU up 7-4.
- Whatley started the bottom of the seventh off with a double down the line and came around to score on a Sequeira single to make it 7-5.
- After a double off the wall by Whatley, James crushed one over the wall in left to tie the game at 7-7 in the bottom of the eighth.
- Dean Wilson led off the 10th inning with a single to left, and after a Chase Stafford sacrifice bunt, Whatley brought him home with a shallow fly ball to right field, giving the Golden Eagles the 8-7 victory.
The Golden Eagles will not have a midweek game this week and will travel Friday to face Omaha.