TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team is set to close out the 2015 regular season against Western Illinois with a three-game series at J.L. Johnson Stadium beginning Thursday. Over the weekend, ORU will be honoring all 11 seniors, including: Matt Brandy, Dean Wilson, Jacob McDavid,Audie Afenir, Anthony Sequeira, Colin Hightower, Derrian James, Kurt Giller, Emmanuel Forcier, Phillip Wilson and Logan Domenico.
Thursday's first pitch against the Leathernecks is set for 6:30 p.m. with video available through the ORU Sports Network atORUAthletics.com. Geoff Haxton will have the radio call on 1550 AM in the Tulsa area and around the world for free online and on mobile devices at ORUAthletics.com.
|Oral Roberts vs Western Illinois | May 14-16 | Tulsa, Okla. | J. L. Johnson Stadium|
|Series Schedule||Coverage||Projected Starters|
|Game 1: Friday, May 14 - 6:30 p.m.||Watch | Listen | Live Stats | Twitter
||ORU - RHP Guillermo Trujillo (8-3)
WIU- LHP Preston Church (2-6)
|Game 2: Saturday, May 15 - 6:30 p.m.||Watch | Listen | Live Stats | Twitter
||ORU - RHP Xavier Altamirano (7-2)
WIU - LHP Tom Constand (3-7)
|Game 3: Sunday, May 16 - 2 p.m.||Watch | Listen | Live Stats | Twitter
ORU - RHP Bryce Howe (2-1)
|Social: Twitter | Instagram // Game Notes: ORU | WIU|
OUT OF THE BOX
• Oral Roberts claimed its 15th Summit League Regular Season Championship last weekend with a sweep of IPFW. ORU takes a five game lead over South Dakota State into the final week of Summit League action. The Golden Eagles clinch the No. 1 seed in the Summit League Tournament for the 15th time since 1998.
• The Golden Eagles closed out a seven game road swing and their final mid-week game of the regular season Tuesday at Wichita State, falling to the Shockers, 7-6 in walk off fashion. ORU trailed early but rallied to take the lead in the seventh inning. WSU took the lead once more with a two-run eighth inning. Matt Whatley was 2-for- 5 and had the game tying RBI in the top of the ninth but Chase Rader delivered the game-winning hit in the bottom of the ninth to walk off.
• ORU has been one of the best road teams in the nation going 18-6 away from J.L Johnson this season with the 17th-best road win percentage. The 18 road wins are tied for the second-best mark in college baseball. Dallas Baptist and Nevada lead the country with 19 road victories apiece.
• In the last 35 games the Golden Eagles have won 29 with eight players all hitting above .300 during that stretch. Chase Stafford is hitting .389 and followed by Matt Whatley at .378 and Derrian James hitting at a .361 clip. Both James and Whatley have hit five home runs in that stretch.
• ORU continued its hot hitting with a pair of run rule wins while still holding the nation's second highest batting average at .324. Morehead State leads the country hitting at a .335 clip. ORU has also climbed to third in on base percentage at .413 behind Morehead State (.419) and Nevada (.415).
• The Golden Eagles have scored in bunches this season outscoring opponents 368-213. ORU is averaging 7.5 runs per game, 10th best in the nation and have scored in double digits 16 times this season.
• ORU and Western Illinois have met 67 times, with the Golden Eagles holding a 60-7 lead in the all-time series. The Golden Eagles swept WIU in Macomb earlier in the year, outscoring the Leathernecks 34-1 in the three-game series.
• ORU has now swept two Summit League opponents with the chance to make it three teams this weekend against Western Illinois. The Golden Eagles took all three games from the Leathernecks in Macomb, April 10-12.
UP NEXT FOR ORU
The Golden Eagles have already locked up the No. 1 seed in the Summit League Tournament which is set to begin Wednesday, May 20 in Souix Falls, S.D. Final seeding will be announced later this week.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.