Score: Oral Roberts 2– Western Illinois 0
Records: ORU (36-14, 23-5 SL) – Western Illinois (17-31, 11-14 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts offense was held to just three hits through four innings, but timely hits and two sacrifices proved to be the deciding factoras the team shutout Western Illinois, 2-0.
The Leathernecks picked up three of their six hits in the opening frame with a double and a pair of singles. Guillermo Trujillo settled down though, striking out Chris Tschida and forcing a groundout to strand the bases loaded.
- Senior infielder Dean Wilson finished 2-for-3 in the game for his second consecutive multiple hit game in a row.
- Matt Whatley picked up two hits on the night and is swinging the bat at a clip of .421 in the last four contests.
- Trujillo tossed six innings and struck out five on his way to his team leading ninth win.
- Sean Leary tossed two innings in relief allowing only one hit and striking out two.
- Sequeira closed out the game for the Golden Eagles, shutting down the Leathernecks in the ninth for his ninth save of the year.
Inside the Box Score
- Whatley extended his hitting streak to 13 games and has tallied two hits in each of his last four games.
- ORU has won 26 of their last 30 games dating back to March 20.
- ORU has outscored Western Illinois 36-1 through four games this season.
- The Golden Eagles have recorded five shutouts on the season.
- Chase Stafford opened the fifth inning with a leadoff hit-by-pitch. He advanced to second on a balk and to third on a bunt single by Matt Whatley. Derrian James drove him in on a groundout to shortstop to put the Golden Eagles on top, 1-0.
- With the bases loaded in the eighth, Noah Cummings picked up an RBI on a sacrifice fly to right field to add an insurance run and make it a 2-0 Golden Eagle lead.
ORU returns to action Friday as it continues its series with Western Illinois. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.