Score: Oral Roberts 11 – Western Illinois 3
Records: ORU (38-14, 25-5 SL) – Western Illinois (17-33, 10-20 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team swept an opponent for the seventh time this season after overpowering Western Illinois in the season finale at J.L. Johnson Stadium, 11-3, Saturday afternoon.
Anthony Sequeira had a Senior Day to remember as he led the squad with a 4-for-5 performance including his 10th home run of the year and second in as many games. He drove in three RBI on the day and scored three runs. Another senior that stood out was Logan Domenico who finished 3-for-5 with a trio of singles. Emmanuel Forcier also went 2-for-5 with an RBI double.
Phillip Wilson claimed the win for ORU, picking up is first of the year. Taking the loss for the Leathernecks was Joe Mortillaro as he falls to 3-5.
- Sequeira finished 4-for-5 with a homer, double and two singles as he drove in three.
- Domenico was 3-for-5 on the day as he drove in one and scored once.
- Forcier picked up two base hits, including a double on his way to a two RBI game.
- Audie Afenir, Noah Cummings and Dean Wilson each finished with an RBI.
- Phillip Wilson picked up his first win of the year after allowing one run in three innings of work.
- Bryce Howe struck out four in three innings of relief work.
Inside the Box Score
- Oral Roberts has allowed four run to Western Illinois in 50 innings of play this season.
- Whatley extended his hitting streak to 15 games with a double in the eighth.
- ORU has won 28 of their last 32 games dating back to March 20.
- ORU has outscored Western Illinois 51-4 in six games this season.
- The Golden Eagles have recorded six shutouts on the season.
- Kurt Giller, Colin Hightower and Nick Wood combined to allow one hit to the Leathernecks in the final three innings.
- Sequeira doubled down the left field line to start things off for the Golden Eagles to score Matt Whatley who reached on an error to begin the game.
- Afenir picked up an infield single to score Matt Brandy who walked.
- Forcier later singled to center field as Sequeira crossed the plate cap off the three-run first inning.
- Nick Roark started the second with a walk and a stolen base before Brandy sent him home with a single to left.
- Sequeira sent a two-run bomb to right field to make it a 6-0 game.
- Chris Tschida doubled down the right field line to put WIU on the board.
- Adam McGinnis homered out to left field to cut the ORU lead to 6-2.
- Erik Maki singled to left field to score Roman Visintine to close the gap to 6-3.
- Afenir reached on a throwing error allowing Sequeira to advance to third and Brandy to score.
- Domenico singled up the middle to score Sequeira who reached on a single.
- N. Cummings doubled down the left field line, scoring Whatley.
- Afenir scored as Forcier doubled to left center to push the lead to 10-3.
- D. Wilson picked up an RBI sacrifice fly to score Domenico to cap off the 11-3 win.
ORU prepares for The Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls, S.D. next week. The Golden Eagles have locked up the No. 1 seed in the tournament and will face No. 4 seed North Dakota State Tuesday.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.