Score: St. John's 10 – Oral Roberts 4
Records: ORU (41-16, 25-5) – St. John's (40-15, 14-3)
Location: Allie P. Reynolds Stadium – Stillwater, Okla.
STILLWATER, Okla. – St. John's scored nine unanswered runs to open the game and it proved too much for the Oral Roberts baseball team to overcome, falling to the Red Storm in an elimination game, 10-4, Saturday afternoon at Allie P. Stadium.
The Golden Eagles' season comes to a close with an overall record of 41-16, while going 25-5 in Summit League play. Bad luck and missed opportunities will define the Golden Eagles season finale. A tough break in the second inning turned into two runs, and ORU could never fully recover.
Oral Roberts reeled off four runs from the fourth to sixth inning, but St. John's broke the scoring run of the Golden Eagles with a run in the seventh. Freshman sensation Matt Whatley led the way in postseason play for ORU, finishing the regional 6-for-11 after picking up three hits in each game. Senior Audie Afenir closed out his collegiate career going 2-for-3, scoring two runs.
- Whatley finished his first NCAA Regional 6-for-11.
- Afenir went 2-for-3 and scored twice.
- Anthony Sequeira tossed two and two-third innings of two hit baseball. He struck out three to finish the game for ORU.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagles fall to 34-50 all-time in the NCAA tournament.
- ORU hit just 2-for-10 with two outs compared to SJU's 7-of-16.
- The Red Storm capitalized on baserunners, hitting 10-for-27.
- Matt Brandy improved his reached base streak to 18 games with a walk in the second.
- Oral Roberts has won 31 of their last 37 games dating back to March 20.
- St. John's outhit the Golden Eagles 8-2 through four innings.
- St. John's opened the game with a leadoff walk that eventually reached third thanks to a sacrifice bunt and a groundout. With two outs, Alex Caruso was brought in by a Zach Lauracella double that bounced down the left field line.
- A two-out base hit added to the St. John's lead in the third. Robert Wayman sent a routine ball to second that went off the lip of the infield and bounced high in the air and to the outfield allowing two runners to cross home plate.
- A bunt attempt in the fourth turned into a run as after the throw home was too late for the tag to be applied. Scoring on the play was Anthony Brocato who led off the inning with a single through the left side.
- With the bases loaded in the top of the fourth, St. John's came up with a clutch two-run double out to right field to extend its lead to 7-0.
- Jarred Mederos capped off the fourth inning scoring burst for the Johnnies with a two-run double off the right center field wall to push the St. John's lead to 9-0.
- Noah Cummings broke the scoreless streak for the Golden Eagles in the fourth after ripping a double to right field to score Sequeira who reached on an error earlier in the inning.
- Rolando Martinez added finished off the scoring activity in the fourth with an RBI groundout to cut the SJU lead to 9-2.
- Dean Wilson came up with his eighth double of the year as he drove in Afenir who led off the sixth with a single to cut the St. John's lead to 9-3.
- Chase Stafford came up with the third hit of the sixth inning for the Golden Eagles as he drove in D. Wilson with a liner out to left center field.
- A double by St. John's Wayman and a fielding error allowed another SJU run, pushing the Johnnies lead to 10-4 in the seventh.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.