Score: ORU 3 - Memphis 1
Records: ORU (1-0), Memphis (0-1)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts University baseball team started the season with a victory for the first time in four years Friday as the Golden Eagles topped Memphis 3-1 at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
ORU (1-0) used four extra base hits in the victory over Memphis (0-1). The last opening day victory for the Golden Eagles came in 2011 at Baylor.
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the seventh, the Golden Eagles tied the game with a pinch hit double off the bat of Rolando Martinez. In the eighth inning, Audie Afenir doubled in a run and Anthony Sequeira picked up an RBI single to make it a 3-1 game.
Kyler Stout entered the game in the ninth and sat the Tigers down in order to close the game.
With the Tigers leading 1-0 in the bottom of the seventh, Anthony Sequeira doubled and scored on a pinch hit double by Rolando Martinez.
Inside the Box Score
- Anthony Sequeira led the Golden Eagles at the plate, reaching base three times with a pair of hits, including a double, and was hit by a pitch. The senior drove in a run and scored a run.
- Logan Domenico recorded a double, a single and scored a run.
- Audie Afenir hit an RBI double in the in the eighth inning and scored.
- Rolando Martinez tied the game with an RBI pinch hit double in the seventh.
- Guillermo Trujillo was called upon for the opening day start and went seven innings, allowing only four hits and a run.
- Nathan Garza (1-0) and Kyler Stout pitched an inning each without allowing a hit. Garza recorded the win and Stout earned his first save of the season.
- Darian Tubbs, Jake Little, Jake Overbey and Brandon Montgomery had one hit each for Memphis.
- Caleb Wallingford pitched five innings in a start for Memphis, while Colton Hathcock (0-1) went 2.2 innings and allowed three runs in the loss.
- Memphis took a 1-0 lead after two batters in the first as Darian Tubbs hit a leadoff triple to straight away center and scored on a double by Jake Little.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Anthony Sequeira doubled off the bottom of the wall in left to start the inning and scored on a pinch hit double from Rolando Martinez.
- With Logan Domenico standing on third, Audie Afenir ripped a double into the right field corner for the go-ahead run to make it 2-1.
- Sequeira made it a 3-1 game as he follow Afenir with an RBI single up the middle.
ORU and Memphis will close the series with a doubleheader Saturday. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 11 a.m., with game two following approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.
|Box, ORU vs. Memphis G1|