Game 1 Score: ORU 6 - SIUE 2; Game 2 Score: ORU 12 - SIUE 7
Records: ORU (4-1), SIUE (0-5)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Despite the cold weather, the Oral Roberts University bats were hot Friday as the Golden Eagles rattled off 24 hits and two homes run in a doubleheader sweep over SIU Edwardsville at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
ORU clinched its second series of the season as the Golden Eagles improved to 4-1, while the SIUE remains winless, dropping to 0-5.
After a Matt Brandy solo home run in the bottom of the first in game one, the Golden Eagles never looked back, defeating the Cougars 6-2. In the second game, Anthony Sequeira went 4-4 with a home run, a double, five RBI and two runs scored in a 12-7 ORU victory.
Following two quick outs in the first game of the afternoon, Matt Brandy lifted off for his first home run of the season to put the Golden Eagles up 1-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Anthony Sequeira improved his early season average to .647 with a 1.059 slugging percentage after recording five hits in the two games. The senior also drove in five runs in game two and crossed the plate three times in the doubleheader.
- After a home run in game one, Matt Brandy added three hits in the nightcap. He scored four times and had four RBI in the two games.
- Dean Wilson recorded a hit in game one and reached safely twice in the second game.
- One of two of Rolando Martinez's hits in first game was a double, and Derrian James had a single in the contest.
- Guillermo Trujillo (1-0) had another good outing for the Golden Eagles, going six innings with four strikeouts in the game one start.
- Nathan Garza entered game one in the seventh inning and earned a three-inning save as he struck out three batters.
- Kurt Giller (2-0) allowed just one hit and struck out five in the start in game two, earning his second win of the season.
- Parker Guinn had four hits and three RBI to lead SIUE at the plate.
- Ryan Daniels and Jarrett Bednar took the losses for the Cougars in games one and two, respectively.
- Matt Brandy put the Golden Eagles on the board first in the bottom of the first with a solo home run over the left field wall.
- In the fifth, Logan Domenico extended the ORU lead to 3-0 with a two-run double down the right field line.
- Parker Guinn singled to left field to plate Denton Reed, cutting the Golden Eagle lead to 3-1 in the top of the sixth.
- A Cougar miscue in the bottom of the sixth made it a 4-1 game when Anthony Sequeira scored on an error by the shortstop.
- ORU added another run in the home half of the sixth as Rolando Martinez scored on a groundout.
- Dean Wilson made it 6-1 in the bottom of the eighth with a single to left that scored Martinez.
- An ORU error in the top of the ninth allowed the Cougars to make it a 6-2 game as Collin Book crossed the plate.
- For the third time in five games, ORU jumped out to a lead after the first inning as Brandy drove in Domenico with a single and Sequeira plated Brandy on a double to go up 2-0.
- The Golden Eagles added to their lead in the fourth as Chase Stafford reached on an error and scored on a Brandy single to make it 3-0.
- Sequeira followed Brandy with an RBI single to extend the lead to 4-0.
- Three batters later, Audie Afenir singled in Sequeira, and Noah Cummings scored on a double play to give ORU a 6-0 lead after three innings.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Sequeira launched his first home run as a Golden Eagle past the right field wall to plate Brandy and Stafford to move the lead to 9-0.
- Domenico added to the Golden Eagle lead in the bottom of the fifth with a sacrifice fly to deep center to extend the lead to 10-0.
- Mason Mantle added two more runs to bring the score to 12-0 in the bottom of the seventh with a two-run pinch hit double in his first ORU at bat.
- SIUE cut the ORU lead in half in the top of the eighth, starting with Dustin Woodcock crossing the plate following Golden Eagle error.
- Austin Verschoore followed and singled in Mario Tursi to make it 12-2.
- Parker Quinn stepped in a pulled a two-run double down the left field line, driving in Verschoore and Alec Saikal, cutting the lead to 12-4.
- Guinn scored as Jacob Stewart added another double, and Stewart came around an scored a few batters later on a wild pitch to move the score to 12-6 ORU.
- The Cougars added their final run of the game in the top of the ninth as Woodcock crossed the plate on a single to left off the bat of Collin Book.
ORU goes for the series sweep Saturday afternoon as the Golden Eagles face the Cougars in the series finale at 2 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
|Box Score vs. SIUE, Game 2|
|Box Score vs. SIUE, Game 1|