Score: North Dakota State 4 - Oral Roberts 3
Records: NDSU (23-18, 9-11) - ORU (25-15, 14-6)
Location: Newman Outdoor Stadium - Fargo, N.D.
Box Score (PDF)
FARGO, N.D. - North Dakota State saved its best for last as the Bison picked up a 4-3 walk-off victory over Oral Roberts Saturday afternoon after Logan Busch drove his first career home run to give the Bison their first conference series win over ORU in program history.
Trailing by two runs in the eighth inning, the Oral Roberts offense finally started clicking as it sent two runners across the plate to tie the game at three.
Matt Whatley kicked off the rally with a single up the middle for one of his team-high three base hits on the afternoon. Noah Cummings followed with a single to the left side to put the pressure on Bison reliever Chris Choles who came in during the seventh.
In the very next at bat, Brent Williams poked a ball through the middle for an RBI single to score Whatley from second to make it a 3-2 game. In his sixth start of the year, Mason Mantle was able to tie the game with what looked to be a groundout to the right side that turned into an error allowing the second-year man to advance to second base.
The Bison took advantage of the Golden Eagles defensive miscues for the second game in a row as ORU committed three errors on the day. The first blunder came in the first at bat of the afternoon for the Bison, which would eventually make its way to home plate in the first to put NDSU on top 1-0.
The Golden Eagles answered in the third inning with a run of their own after Trent Shelton led off the inning with a double to center for his second extra-base hit of the season in his first career start. Chase Stafford later drove the sophomore in with his 16th double of the season to knot the game at one.
- With the loss, ORU now holds a 23-10 lead in the all-time series. The Bison improve to 6-6in the series when played in North Dakota.
- The loss for the Golden Eagles marks just the third conference series the team has lost in Summit League play in program history.
- ORU outhit the Bison on the day, 10-6. It marked the just the fourth time this season that the Golden Eagles have lost when holding the opponent to fewer hits.
- Matt Whatley finished 3-for-5 with one run scored while Brent Williams went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- ORU's seven errors in the first two games of the series is the most in any two games this season.
- Right-hander Nick Wood finished with six and a third innings, giving up four hits and two runs. Both runs were unearned.
- NDSU's home run in the ninth inning was the first run that Brady Womacks had given up in 18 relief appearances.
- NDSU Shane Terres was credited with the win. He improves to 1-1 on the season.
Oral Roberts will look to salvage a game in the series Sunday at 1 p.m. when Cale Tims takes the mound.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go towww.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.