ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts' catcher Matt Whatley and North Dakota State outfielder Ben Petersen were named Summit League Baseball Players of the Week, while Oral Roberts' Justin McGregor garnered the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of Feb. 27 – March 5.
MATT WHATLEY ORAL ROBERTS
Jr. // C // Claremore, Okla.
- Earned his third career Player of the Week award
- Posted a hit in all four-games he played in this week, including the game-tying home run in the ninth inning against Minnesota
- For the week, he tallied four RBI on six hits including three extra base hits (2B, 2HR)
- Batted .333 (6-for-18) with a .333 on-base percentage and .722 slugging percentage
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Mason Pierzchalski, NDSU; Feb. 27 – Noah Cummings, ORU
BEN PETERSEN, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Sr. // OF // Lino Lakes, Minn.
- Garnered his second career Player of the Week accolade
- For the week, he accounted for 14 runs (7 runs, 7 RBI) with four hits, five walks, and three extra base hits (3HR)
- Currently leads the League with five home runs
- Batted .286 (4-for-14) with a .429 on-base percentage and .929 slugging percentage
JUSTIN MCGREGOR, ORAL ROBERTS
Jr. // RHP // Midwest City, Okla.
- Received his first career Pitcher of the Week honor
- Improved to 2-0 on the season after throwing three scoreless innings against Kansas
- For the week, allowed just one run on seven hits, and struck out four batters in 7.1 innings pitched
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Ryam Froom, SDSU; Feb. 27 – Miguel Ausua, ORU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.