ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts catcher Matt Whatley was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week and North Dakota State pitcher Luke Lind earned the Pitcher of the Week award for their performances April 24-30.
MATT WHATLEY, ORAL ROBERTS
Jr. // C // Claremore, Okla.
- Garnered his fourth career Player of the Week honor and second of the season
- Hit .636, slugged 1.000 while driving in eight runs during a weekend sweep of Fort Wayne
- Four of his seven hits during the week were doubles
- Went 4-for-4 and reached base in all six plate appearances in series finale
- Had multi-hit, multi-RBI performances in each of the last two games of series
- Hit safely and had at least one RBI in all three league contests
Also nominated: Bennett Hostetler, North Dakota State; Drue Galassi, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Mason Pierzchalski, NDSU; Feb. 27 – Noah Cummings, ORU; March 6 – Ben Petersen, NDSU/Matt Whatley, ORU; March 13 – Dylan Snypes, ORU; March 20 – Newt Johnson, SDSU; March 27 – Grant Suponchick, UNO; April 3 – Chris Tschida, WIU; April 10 – Mitch Ellis, WIU; April 17 – Noah Cummings, ORU; April 24 – Drue Glassi, WIU
LUKE LIND, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Sr. // RHP // Eden Prairie, Minn.
- Collected his third career Pitcher of the Week award and second of the season
- Fired a one-hit shutout with 11 strikeouts in 3-0 nine-inning victory at South Dakota State
- Set down the first 14 hitters he faced before yielding a fifth-inning single
- Retired 13 of final 15 batters faced over remainder of game, allowing just one walk and one HBP
- Recorded school's first one-hitter since 2002 and first nine-inning shutout since 2013
Also nominated: Justin McGregor, Oral Roberts; Ethan Kenkel, South Dakota State; Pete Minella, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; Feb. 27 – Miguel Ausua, ORU; March 6 – Justin McGregor, ORU; March 13 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Luke Lind, NDSU; March 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; March 27 – Sam Murphy, UNO; April 3 – Corey Binger, UNO; April 10 – Ethan Kenkel, SDSU; April 17 – Justin McGregor, ORU; April 24 – Grant Glaze, ORU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.