Score: Omaha 5, Oral Roberts 6
Records: Omaha (12-36, 9-16 SL) – ORU (36-14, 23-4 SL)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – Trent Shelton drew a bases-loaded walk to push the Oral Roberts baseball team to a dramatic 6-5, walk-off win over Omaha Sunday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium to close the series and season sweep.
The native of Hughes Springs, Texas, reached base five times for the Golden Eagles, including his third walk of the day, that proved the difference with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. The Mavericks had made things interesting to force the walk-off by scoring five times in the top half of the frame for their only runs of the three-game series.
ORU's starting pitcher Miguel Ausua was brilliant on the mound striking out a career-high 10 batters over 6.2 shutout innings. The junior was in command from the start retiring the first nine Omaha hitters and holding the Mavericks to only two runners in scoring position without one getting past second base.
Quote of the Game
"Trent was great. He was great all day long. Just on base all day and came up in big moments and got some big hits. It was really good to see him produce, especially on a day like this." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
The Golden Eagles used three-straight, one-out singles to load the bases in the bottom of the ninth after Omaha evened the game with a five-run top half. Shelton stepped to the plate and battled to a full count before watching the game-deciding ball four to miss just off the plate. It was the second walk-off walk of the season for ORU.
Inside the Box Score
- Ausua surrendered just two hits to the Mavericks and struck out a career-best 10 batters becoming, the first ORU pitcher to record double figure strikeouts in an outing this season. He was denied his Summit League-leading 10th win of the year by Omaha's late rally.
- Shelton made the most of the Sunday start going 2-for-2 at the dish with a career-high three walks. The senior helped break the game open in the seventh hitting a two-run single to left bringing Dylan Snypes and Brent Williams home.
- Williams gave ORU a 1-0 lead in the second inning hitting his team-best 15th home run of the campaign, a towering shot through the wind into left field. He closed his senior day going 3-for-5 with two RBI and three runs scored. The Colorado Springs, Colorado, native now has hit home runs in three of his last four games.
- ORU stole four bases on Omaha starter Cal Hehnke as Snypes swiped a pair and Nick Roark and Shelton each added a stolen base. Snypes joined Shelton by not getting out on the day hitting 3-for-3 with the only double for the Golden Eagles.
- Trevor McCutchin picked up his first win of the season striking out a Maverick hitter with the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the ninth.
The Golden Eagles play their final home game of the regular season at J.L. Johnson Stadium Tuesday night hosting in-state rival Oklahoma State. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. with live coverage on ESPN3.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.