ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts catcher Matt Whatley was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week while batterymate Miguel Ausua earned Pitcher of the Week honors for their performances during the week of May 15-21. The awards mark the final weekly accolades of the season.
MATT WHATLEY, ORAL ROBERTS
Jr. // C // Claremore, Okla.
- Collected his fifth career Player of the Week honor and third this season
- Hit .545 and slugged 1.364 with three home runs and six RBI in three games, all victories, during the week
- Homered and drove in three runs while adding eight putouts and two assists in win over Oklahoma State
- Belted a pair of round-trippers, scored three times, and totaled three RBI in four-hit performance at Western Illinois
- Reached base four times in five plate appearances, including a hit and three walks in series finale at Western Illinois
- Scored five runs, walked four times and recorded 21 putouts and three assists without an error during the week
Also nominated: Brandon Yoho, Fort Wayne; Alec Abercrombie, North Dakota State; Luke Ringhofer, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Mason Pierzchalski, NDSU; Feb. 27 – Noah Cummings, ORU; March 6 – Ben Petersen, NDSU/Matt Whatley, ORU; March 13 – Dylan Snypes, ORU; March 20 – Newt Johnson, SDSU; March 27 – Grant Suponchick, UNO; April 3 – Chris Tschida, WIU; April 10 – Mitch Ellis, WIU; April 17 – Noah Cummings, ORU; April 24 – Drue Galassi, WIU; May 1 – Matt Whatley, ORU; May 8 – Adam McGinnis, WIU; May 15 – Brent Williams, ORU
Jr. // LHP // Penuelas, Puerto Rico
- Captured his third career Pitcher of the Week award, all coming this season
- Tossed five innings of scoreless relief to earn victory at Western Illinois
- Held WIU to just one hit and one walk while fanning two in 55-pitch outing
Also nominated: Chris Halbur, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; Feb. 27 – Miguel Ausua, ORU; March 6 – Justin McGregor, ORU; March 13 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Luke Lind, NDSU; March 20 – Ryan Froom, SDSU; March 27 – Sam Murphy, UNO; April 3 – Corey Binger, UNO; April 10 – Ethan Kenkel, SDSU; April 17 – Justin McGregor, ORU; April 24 – Grant Glaze, ORU; May 1 – Luke Lind, NDSU; May 8 – Miguel Ausua, ORU/Pete Minella, WIU; May 15 – Reed Pfannenstein, NDSU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.