Score: Mauricio Baez 79 – ORU 76
Location: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – With eight players dressed, six of whom had never seen action in an Oral Roberts uniform before, the ORU men's basketball team went toe-to-toe with the professionals from Mauricio Baez Thursday evening in the first of four games as part of ORU's mission trip to the Dominican Republic.
After a slow shooting start, the Golden Eagles had a spurt of easy baskets, including dunks by DaQuan Jeffries and Javan White to get back in the game. An alley-oop off the glass from Jalen Bradley to Jeffries gave ORU a 26-25 lead with 5:35 to go in the second quarter.
The two teams were tied at 33-33 with 1:58 to play before the half when the power went out at the arena, leaving everyone in the dark.
Although they trailed by as many as eight in the fourth quarter, the Golden Eagles had a chance to tie the game at the end, getting a steal with nine seconds to play but failed to get a shot off and fell 79-76.
It was not all about basketball on the first full day in the Dominican Republic as the team took the opportunity to do some sightseeing. Photos from the trip can be found here.
Jalen Bradley hit a pair of free throws to make it a one-possession game with nine seconds to play. After a Mauricio Baez timeout, ORU stole the inbounds pass but couldn't get a shot off as time expired.
Oral Roberts: Jalen Bradley led the way with 16 points. DaQuan Jeffries added 14, while Aaron Younng and Kris Martin each chipped in 12. Javan White finished with 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds.
Mauricio Baez: Danillo Nunez led all scorers with 18 points, while Gregorio Adon added 16.
Inside the Box Score
- Javan White grabbed six rebounds in the first half, leading ORU to a 22-12 rebounding advantage at the half. ORU had a 38-26 rebounding edge for the game.
- The first half was highlighted by Jeffries thunderous alley-oop dunk with a pass off the backboard from Bradley.
- A steal and a pull-up 3-pointer by Jalen Bradley put ORU up 45-43 with just over six minutes to go in the third quarter.
- While Bradley had a hand in the first half highlight, he also had the highlight of the third quarter, running through a pass before hitting a pull-up 3-pointer.
- In the fourth quarter, White had his second big dunk as he ran the floor and was rewarded with a soaring dunk to give him 10 points foro the night.
- ORU shot 44 percent (30-68) for the game, including 30.8 percent (8-26) from 3-point range. ORU hit 66.7 percent (8-12) from the free throw line.
- Mauricio Baez was hot all night, connecting on 55.6 percent (30-54) from the field, 35.3 percent (6-17) from 3-point range, and 76.5 percent (13-17) from the free throw line.
After visiting an orphanage Friday morning, the Golden Eagles will face Bameso at 7 p.m. (ET).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.