Score: ORU 78 – UCO 58
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University men's basketball team was dominant in the first half of its final exhibition game, opening up a 25-point lead in the first frame and cruised to a 78-58 victory over Central Oklahoma Saturday night.
A 3-pointer at the halftime buzzer from Darian Harris gave ORU the 25-point margin and the Golden Eagles stretched the lead to as many as 29 in the second half. ORU was led by Albert Owens, who hit his first seven shots of the night and finished with 16 points, and Obi Emegano, who led all scorers with 17 points.
Jarred Bairstow scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds to lead the Bronchos.
Up 21-17, ORU scored the next 12 points to break the game open at 33-17 with five minutes left in the first half.
Quote of the Game
"I thought the last 12 minutes of the first half we played about as well as we could play this time of year. Our defense was active, we were making shots and we rebounded better, so I'm pleased with the progress." – Coach Scott Sutton.
Oral Roberts: Obi Emegano led the way with 17 points on a 6-10 shooting night. DaQuan Jeffries and Javan White each grabbed a game-high seven rebounds, while Chris Crawford and Aaron Young each dished out a game-high four assists.
Central Oklahoma: Jarred Bairstow hit 5-6 from the field and led the Bronchos with 11 points. Bairstow also led UCO on the boards with six rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- Down 10-8, ORU outscored UCO 43-16 over the final 12:55 of the first half.
- ORU played 13 players, 11 of which scored in the game. UCO played 16 players and got at least a point from 11 of them.
- Owens was two off of his career high of 18 points, shooting 8-10 for the game, including hitting on his first seven attempts from the field.
- ORU was nearly unstoppable in the first half, shooting 59 percent (19-32) from the field en route to 50 points. The last time ORU scored more than 50 points in the first half of a game was when ORU dropped 53 on Omaha January 13, 2015.
- The Golden Eagles shot 50 percent (29-58) for the game, and hit at least half their shots in each of their two exhibition games.
- ORU is now 28-0 in preseason games dating back to the 2002-03 season.
The regular season begins Friday, November 13 as ORU hosts Missouri State at 7 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. That contest will be broadcast on ESPN3.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.