Score: Oral Roberts 70 – Tulsa 68
Records: ORU (7-2) – TU (5-3)
Location: Reynolds Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – A 3-pointer by Albert Owens and a jumper by Obi Emegano, both inside the final 20 seconds of the game, lifted the Oral Roberts men's basketball team to a 70-68 win over Tulsa to claim the PSO Mayor's Cup for the third year In a row.
The Golden Eagles trailed for more than 31 minutes in the game, and faced a four-point deficit with less than a minute to go, but Emegano's jumper with less than two seconds proved to be the game-winner.
Emegano led all scorers with 26 points, while Jalen Bradley added 13 points, all coming in the second half. Brandon Conley (eight rebounds) and Owens (seven rebounds) accounted for 15 of ORU's 35 rebounds.
Shaquille Harrison led the Golden Hurricane with 18 points on a 5-15 shooting effort, while James Woodard and Pat Birt each added 12. Harrison also led the rebounding effort for TU, grabbing eight of the team's 35 boards.
A corner 3-pointer by Owens with 19 seconds to play gave the Golden Eagles a 68-67 lead.
Quote of the Game
"We beat a very good basketball team today. We had to keep fighting. It seemed like we were playing catchup the first half but our guys responded. I thought DaQuan Jeffries' basket was huge, Albert decided he was going to be a 3-point shooter and then Obi did what he always does. I knew that shot was going in. As soon as he got an open look I knew it was going in. I'm really proud of our guys." – Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Emegano scored 26 points while Conley grabbed a team-high eight rebounds. Owens had a game-high three blocks.
Tulsa: Harrison led TU with 18 points and eight rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU was 10-11 from the free throw line, while Tulsa made 17-21 from the charity stripe.
- Tulsa led in points in the paint (24-16) and bench points (24-9), while ORU led in second chance points (14-11).
- ORU shot 44.8 percent (26-58) from the field and 47 percent (8-17) from 3-point range in the win.
- Tulsa hit 37.9 percent (22-58) from the field and 29 percent (7-24) from 3-point range.
News and Notes
- In each of the last five meetings, the losing team scored exactly 68 points.
- ORU claimed the PSO Mayor's Cup for the third year in a row, marking ORU's first three-game winning streak in the series since the 2003-05 seasons.
- Sutton is now 8-8 all-time as a head coach against Tulsa.
- The shot from Emegano with less than two seconds to play gave ORU its first win in the final three seconds since topping Incarnate Word on a Shawn Glover buzzer-beater during the 2013-14 season.
- Javan White saw his first regular season action in an ORU uniform as he entered the game in the first half.
- Emegano has now scored at least 20 points in eight straight games this season.
- The ORU women's basketball team topped Tulsa 59-53 on November 20, giving the Golden Eagles a sweep of the PSO Mayor's Cup series for the second year in a row.
The Golden Eagles will play their final home game of the 2015 calendar year Wednesday, December 9 as ORU hosts John Brown. The team is also holding a toy drive for the game, and fans who bring a toy to the game will receive two free tickets to the contest.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.