Score: South Dakota 91 – Oral Roberts 79
Records: USD (11-14, 3-8) – ORU (11-14, 3-8)
Location: DakotaDome (Vermillion, S.D.)
VERMILLION, S.D. – Down as many as 14, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team battled back and cut it to two but could not complete the comeback and late free throws pushed South Dakota to the 91-79 victory Saturday afternoon in the DakotaDome.
South Dakota had six players, including all five starters, score at least 10 points, with Casey Kasperbauer leading the way with 17.
Emegano scored the basket and drew the foul to pull ORU to within two at 79-77 with 2:29 to play, but USD responded with a 10-0 run to make it 89-77 with :50 remaining.
Quote of the Game
"We just didn't guard and that is so frustrating to me. We give up too many easy baskets and commit silly fouls. It is unacceptable and I'm embarrassed and I'm frustrated. We took a big step back because I thought we were getting better, even during that stretch when we lost to Omaha and IPFW and NDSU, I thought our guys were getting better defensively. Tonight we went back to the way we were guarding a month ago." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Emegano scored 26 and had a career high nine rebounds to lead ORU in both categories.
South Dakota: Kasperbauer led the Coyote offense with 17 points, while Trey Norris dished out eight assists and Eric Roberts grabbed eight rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU matched its season best with eight blocks, including seven combined from Owens (4) and Javan White (3). Kris Martin also swatted one shot, his fifth straight game with a block.
- ORU shot 41 percent (23-56) from the floor, 46 percent (6-13) from 3-point range, and 84 percent (27-32) from the free throw line.
- South Dakota shot 53 percent (32-60) from the field, including a 60 percent (15-25) mark in the second half. The Coyotes hit 43 percent (7-16) from long range and 74 percent (20-27) from the free throw line.
- USD led in points in the paint (38-22), points off turnovers (19-10) and fast break points (15-4).
News and Notes
- After getting to the line just four times the entire game against North Dakota State, ORU made 11 trips in the first half against USD.
- ORU made its first 16 free throw attempts on Saturday, making it 22 in a row dating all the way back to the game against IPFW.
- Emegano scored at least 20 points for the 16th time this season, including six straight games. He has at least 10 points in 29 straight games.
- Owens' four blocks match his career high, hitting that mark for the fifth time in his career including four times this year.
- The last time ORU allowed all five starters, and six players overall, to scored double figures was against New Mexico State, December 13, 2014.
ORU will return home for its final three home games of the regular season, beginning with a Thursday matchup with IUPUI.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.