Score: Omaha 102 – Oral Roberts 98
Records: UNO (18-12, 10-6) – ORU (14-15, 6-9)
Location: Baxter Arena (Omaha, Neb.)
OMAHA, Neb. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team cut a 19-point deficit down to four inside the final minute but couldn't complete the comeback as the Golden Eagles fell 102-98 at Omaha Thursday night inside Baxter Arena.
ORU's scoring effort was led by Obi Emegano (26) and DaQuan Jeffries, who scored a career-best 21 points. Jeffries also teamed up with fellow freshman Javan White to lead ORU to a 34-33 rebounding edge as the freshmen grabbed nine and eight rebounds, respectively.
Devin Patterson hit 10-16 from the field and scored a game-high 29 points. Randy Reed added 21, while Jake White scored 18 and grabbed seven boards. Tra-Deon Hollins had 16 points and 10 assists.
Jeffries scored five straight to make it an eight point game with 10:29 to play, but Omaha responded with a 15-4 run of their own to push it to a 19-point game with seven minutes remaining.
Quote of the Game
"If we would have competed for the first 33 minutes that we did in the final seven minutes, we probably would have won the game. We didn't play with a sense of urgency like you have to in order to beat a good team on the road. I'm disappointed with the loss but we have to move on" – Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Emegano scored 26 while Jeffries added a career-best 21. Jeffries also led the rebounding effort with nine, while White grabbed eight.
Omaha: Patterson scored 29 points and Randy Reed added 21. White grabbed seven rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 51 percent (39-76) from the field, but was just 4-17 (23.5 percent) from 3-point range. ORU hit 16-19 (84 percent) from the free throw line.
- Omaha hit 56 percent (36-64) from the field, including 70 percent (21-30) in the second half. The Mavericks were 9-17 (53 percent) from 3-point range and 21-27 (78 percent) from the free throw line.
- 47 of ORU's 98 points came off the bench, including 21 from Jeffries and 11 each from Jalen Bradley and Javan White.
- A 12-0 run late in the game made a contest out of what was a 19-point deficit with 7:23 to play. ORU got back within four and had a running 3-pointer with less than 10 seconds that rimmed out.
News and Notes
- With Emegano scoring 26 and Jeffries adding 21, the Golden Eagles had two players score at least 20 for the fourth time this season and second time in the last three games.
- Jeffries was 10-12 from the field with a myriad of dunks en route to a career high 21 points, the first 20-point game of his career. 17 of those points came in the second half.
- Emegano scored exactly 26 points for the third game in a row and the fourth time in five games.
- ORU had six players score in double figures for the first time since topping Tabor in November.
The Golden Eagles' regular season finale will be Saturday at South Dakota State. That game will tip off at 4:30 p.m. and will be televised on Midco SN and ESPN3.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.