Score: South Dakota State 73 – Oral Roberts 70
Records: SDSU (24-7) – ORU (14-17)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center (Sioux Falls, S.D.)
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team led for 38:22 of the game, but couldn't connect in the final two minutes of the game as South Dakota State finished the game on a 10-0 run and the Golden Eagles fell 73-70 in the Summit League quarterfinals Saturday evening.
Entering as the seventh seed, ORU used an early 15-2 run to open up the game with a 23-8 lead of the number two Jackrabbits seven minutes in. ORU got 15 points from Obi Emegano, 13 from Kris Martin, 12 from Javan White and 11 from Albert Owens. ORU had 15 assists on 27 made field goals, with six different players dishing out at least two assists.
SDSU was led by Mike Daum who was 8-12 from the field and 9-10 from the free throw line en route to 26 points. He was the only Jackrabbit in double figures.
Up five, ORU came up empty at the free throw line and George Marshall drained a three for the Jackrabbits to make it a one possession game with 1:24 to play.
Quote of the Game
"They handled the pressure and made plays and we didn't. I thought our zone was good but we gave up a couple of offensive rebounds. You get those and it's probably a different ballgame. We will be kicking ourselves all offseason because that's a game we played well enough to win and in some ways probably should have won." – Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Emegano led the scoring effort with 15 points while Owens grabbed nine rebounds. Brandon Conley, Owens and Jalen Bradley each had three assists.
South Dakota St.: Daum scored 26 points and had eight rebounds, leading the Jackrabbits in both categories.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 27-59 (45.8 percent) from the field, 6-11 (54.5 percent) from 3-point range and 10-18 (55.6 percent) from the free throw line.
- SDSU shot 22-52 (42.3 percent) from the field, 5-17 (29 percent) from 3-point range and 24-31 (77.4 percent) from the free throw line.
- South Dakota State out-rebounded ORU 35-34, but ORU led in second chance points, 19-13. ORU also had the advantage in the paint, out-scoring SDSU 32-28.
- SDSU's largest lead of the game came with two seconds to play and was the final margin of three.
News and Notes
- Emegano finishes his senior season with 669 points, ninth in the ORU single season record books. In just over two full seasons with the Golden Eagles, Emegano scored 1,367 career points.
- Conley hit four of five from the field Saturday, and finishes his career 249-432 (57.6 percent) from the field. That field goal percentage is the second highest in school history.
- Emegano is sixth in career free throws made (433) and attempted (530) at ORU, and his 81.7 percent from the line ties him for seventh in ORU history.
- After his junior season, Young is second in ORU history in career 3-point percentage at 45.2 percent (61-135).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.