Oral Roberts (6-11, 2-0) vs. Western Illinois (8-5, 0-1)
Date/Time: Saturday, January 6, 2018 / 7 p.m.
TV/Video: None / ORU Sports Network
Radio: The Franchise 107.9 FM / 1270 AM
Location: Tulsa, Okla. / Mabee Center
TULSA, Okla. – Off to a 2-0 start in The Summit League, the best start in league play in the past five years, the Oral Roberts men's team will finish its three game home stand Saturday as the Golden Eagles host Western Illinois.
Saturday's game will tip off at 7 p.m. and will be streamed for free on the ORU Sports Network at ORUAthletics.com and through the ORU mobile app. Radio broadcaster Adam Hildebrandt's radio call of the game can be heard on The Franchise at 107.9 FM and 1270 AM, and online at TheFranchiseOk.com.
ORU Game Notes: vs. Western Illinois
Opponent Game Notes: vs. Western Illinois
Summit League Notes: Week 9
Live Stats: vs. Western Illinois
TV / Live Video: vs. Western Illinois
Free Audio: vs. Western Illinois
• ORU leads the all-time series against Western Illinois 31-9, including wins in eight of the last 11 games despite being swept by the Leathernecks last year.
• The Golden Eagles are 2-0 to start conference play for the first time since the 2012-13 season, which was also the last time ORU opened league play at home.
• Senior Albert Owens was one of 30 selected as a candidate for the Senior CLASS Award. ORU WBB player Faith Ihim was also selected as a candidate, making ORU and Duke the only two schools with a nominee for both the men's and women's award.
• Sophomore Emmanuel Nzekwesi earned his first career Summit League Player of the Week honor on December 18 and followed it up two weeks later with his second Player of the Week award. This year, Nzekwesi was also named to the All-Tournament team for the Malibu Subregional of the 2017 Legends Classic.
• According to the 2018 Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings, ORU played the seventh toughest non-conference schedule in the country. In addition to three teams ranked in the top 15 of the mid-major poll, ORU closed the first semester nonconference schedule with two teams receiving votes in the AP poll.
• After passing the 1,000 point mark for his career, Albert Owens is now trying to become the next member of the 1,000-point, 500-rebound club. Owens currently has 1,146 career points and 470 career rebounds. 15 other players have reached both benchmarks during their ORU careers. Korey Billbury (2012-15) was the most recent to do so.
• Entering the 2017-18 season, senior center Albert Owens was picked as a preseason first team All-Summit League selection while sophomore forward Emmanuel Nzekwesi earned preseason second team honors. Additionally, Blue Ribbon Sports tabbed sophomore guard Sam Kearns as The Summit League's Preseason Newcomer of the Year.
• It is a new look for ORU this season. In addition to new Head Coach Paul Mills, who will bring a new look on both offense and defense, ORU has nine newcomers, including a trio of redshirts from last year. ORU also has a new logo and home court design that were both released just before the start of the season.
• In the 98th game of his career, Albert Owens reached the 1,000 point mark, tying him with Luke Spencer-Gardner as the 28th fastest to reach the mark. Owens was the 34th player in ORU history to reach the 1,000 point mark.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).