Score: South Dakota State 78 – Oral Roberts 75
Record: SDSU (15-5, 3-0) – ORU (7-12, 3-1)
Location: Brookings, S.D. (Frost Arena)
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team had the ball with a chance to tie at the buzzer but couldn't get a shot off as South Dakota State topped the Golden Eagles 78-75 Thursday evening at Frost Arena.
ORU dominated inside offensively with Chris Miller (14), Javan White (13) and Albert Owens (12) leading the scoring. ORU out-scored SDSU 46-20 in the paint, but was out-rebounded 37-34 by the Jackrabbits.
SDSU was led by Mike Daum's 27 points and 12 rebounds. Reed Tellinghuisen scored 24 points and David Jenkins added 15.
A Daum 3-pointer at the end of the first half carried momentum for the home team into the second half and the Jackrabbits made it a 9-0 run to open up their largest lead to that point, leaving ORU to play catchup the rest of the game.
Oral Roberts: Miller led ORU in scoring with 14 points while White grabbed a team-high eight rebounds. Sam Kearns had five assists and three steals.
South Dakota State: Daum led SDSU in scoring (27) and rebounding (12), while Brandon Key had seven assists in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 47 percent (32-68) from the field for the game, despite connecting on nearly 55 percent (17-31) in the second half. The Golden Eagles were 6-22 (27 percent) from 3-point range and 5-8 (62 percent) from the free throw line.
- SDSU shot 44 percent (26-59) from the field and 37 percent (10-27) from 3-point range. The Jackrabbits hit 16-19 (84 percent) from the free throw line.
- SDSU out-rebounded ORU 37-34 and used it to a 19-7 advantage in second chance points.
- ORU dominated the paint, out-scoring SDSU 46-20 and turned nine Jackrabbit turnovers into a 16-4 scoring advantage.
News and Notes
- ORU turned the ball over a season low four times on Thursday.
- After getting 26 points off the bench and holding SDSU's bench scoreless, ORU's bench has out-scored the opponent in each of the four Summit League games.
- SDSU out-rebounded ORU, marking the first time since the Golden Eagles' win over Missouri State (December 10) in which ORU has been out-rebounded.
- The last five contests between the two teams have been decided by less than 10 points.
- The loss sent ORU into second play into the Summit League standings and left SDSU as the last remaining unbeaten team.
The Golden Eagles will continue north as ORU heads to North Dakota State for a 2 p.m. Saturday contest.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).