Score: Fort Wayne 85 – Oral Roberts 75
Record: FW (15-10, 4-4) – ORU (9-16, 3-5)
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Memorial Coliseum)
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – After going 3-23 from long range in the first meeting, Fort Wayne hit 12 3-pointers Thursday as the Mastodons topped Oral Roberts in men's basketball action at Memorial Coliseum.
ORU got 20 points from Albert Owens, who was 8-9 from the floor and 4-4 from the free throw line. Sam Kearns hit three 3-pointers, all in the second half, to score 15 points while Emmanuel Nzekwesi went 4-5 in the second half to finish with 10 points. Nzekwesi, Javan White and Jontray Harris each grabbed seven rebounds as ORU held a 36-28 rebounding advantage.
Fort Wayne had three 20-point scorers, led by Bryson Scott's 23 points. John Konchar scored 21 and Kason Harrell added 20 points. Jax Levitch led the Mastodons with eight boards.
Quote of the Game
"We had seven turnovers in the opening five minutes. I didn't think we were aggressive and we knew they would be aggressive. Obviously the big glaring thing tonight was their 24 points off our 17 turnovers." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
Early in the second half ORU cut the deficit to one point on four different occasions, but after getting it to 49-48 with 13:57 to play, Fort Wayne scored the next eight of the next 10 points in the game to push it back to a seven point game on a 3-pointer by Jordon King with 11:55 to play. ORU did not get closer than three the rest of the way.
Oral Roberts: Owens had 20 points while the trio of Harris, Nzekwesi and White each had a team-high seven boards. Austin Ruder led ORU with five of the teams' 15 assists and Owens had the only two blocks for the Golden Eagles.
Fort Wayne: The Mastodons were led offensively by Scott's 23 points. Levitch grabbed eight rebounds and Konchar had seven assist and five steals.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 50 percent (31-62) from the field but just 33 percent (8-24) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles hit all five free throws in the game.
- Fort Wayne shot 50 percent (29-58) from the field and 50 percent (12-24) from 3-point range. The Mastodons were 15-23 (65 percent) from the free throw line.
- ORU held a 36-28 rebounding advantage and a 10-5 edge in second chance points.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times and Fort Wayne used it to a 24-11 scoring advantage in points off turnovers.
News and Notes
- Kearns hit his first 3-pointer less than three minutes into the second half, extending his streak to 24 straight games with a made triple.
- ORU is now 1-12 this season when the opponent gets to the line more. Fort Wayne got to the free throw line 18 more times than ORU and made 10 more free throws.
- With two blocks in the game, Owens earned his 150th career block, moving past Shawn King (2006-08) into sole possession of third place in the ORU record books.
- Thursday marked just the third time this season in which ORU has hit at least 50 percent of their shots (31-62) and lost, having also fallen at Arkansas (29-55, 52.7 percent) and Pepperdine (28-56, 50 percent).
- ORU had a 36-28 rebounding advantage over Fort Wayne. ORU has out-rebounded all but two Summit League opponents this season.
- ORU out-scored Fort Wayne 36-26 in the paint and the Golden Eagle bench out-scored the Mastodons 36-14.
- The five free throw attempts by ORU marked a new season low. The previous low was seven free throws against both Florida Gulf Coast and Penn State.
ORU's road trip continues Saturday afternoon as the Golden Eagles play at Western Illinois in a 2 p.m. contest at Western Hall.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).